SYNC/bluetooth fails with iPhone music | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC/bluetooth fails with iPhone music

The Scott

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
This is my 1st post, I have been lurking here for a few weeks but this sync system is driving me crazy. My company bought this car about a month ago, 2008 Explorer XLT V6.

I am quite frustrated with the radio. I have the radio with sync (no sat nav) and I cannot get my iPhone music to play through the sync system. I can get music immediately after I pair the phone to the radio, but any time I try to use it after that I get no sound. So I need to forget and re-discover the phone constantly. My iPhone confirms it is connected and the radio display shows Sync Line In when I have bluetooth activated on the iPhone. When I turn off bluetooth on the iPhone the radio display says disconnected.

I have used plenty of bluetooth radios and this sync system is not up to par as far as I am concerned. I may be doing something wrong but every other radio I have used has worked seamlessly with the iPhone and been able to setup without reading a manual.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or is this normal? I just upgraded the sync operating software to version 1.3. Apparently there is another upgrade only the dealer can do. The local dealer said it was just like the upgrade I did, they load it with a USB drive, and the charge is $89.99.....I laughed and said no thanks.

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once you've told the radio to play, go to your iPhone and launch the ipod/music app. Make sure the output source is set to Sync.

yep. Got that covered. I know how to use the iPhone and I think I know how to use the sync, it is just the sync only works once immediately after pairing the phone and then you get nothing when you try to use it again. I can use the AUX line in with a cable, but the wireless bluetooth function is disfunctional.

Like I said before, this works fine in other cars I have used, just not this Ford.

yep. Got that covered. I know how to use the iPhone and I think I know how to use the sync, it is just the sync only works once immediately after pairing the phone and then you get nothing when you try to use it again. I can use the AUX line in with a cable, but the wireless bluetooth function is disfunctional.

Like I said before, this works fine in other cars I have used, just not this Ford.

Don't know what the problem is then. I had an '08 and 2 iPhones that worked fine.

My only problem is when I had the USB cable plugged in sometimes the iPhone would be outputting to the wrong source.

Perhaps check your source on the radio. "Sync Line In" doesn't sound right. I think the source is called BT Audio or BT Stream. Something like that. Now that I think about it, I'm 99% sure this is your problem. I don't have my Explorer anymore, but I recall that after turning the vehicle off, it'd default to Line In the next time I turned it on. You have to select BT Audio as your source the next time you turn the truck on.

Yep, that was it. I hunted through the radio menu and found where I could set the default aux to BT. I find this odd, why does this have to be set? Not really an issue with other cars I have seen.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Yep, that was it. I hunted through the radio menu and found where I could set the default aux to BT. I find this odd, why does this have to be set? Not really an issue with other cars I have seen.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Hi, The Scott!

I'm glad you were able to find the right setting! In some of our earlier SYNC systems, this setting was implemented in the software. Most of them are now set to automatically pick up your Bluetooth audio.

Rebecca

what iphone and ios version.

my iphone 4s with 5.1.1 if i start it with the usb connected to the phone, it will kick sync offline.

have you gone to syncmyride and update the sync system using a usb thumb drive?

Yes I updated my sync. The bottom line is for my 2008 I have I set a default aux input, I do not plan to use the cable, just Bluetooth, so I hope I do not have to change that default.

I can get music immediately after I pair the phone to the radio, but any time I try to use it after that I get no sound. So I need to forget and re-discover the phone constantly.

Seem like i have the same problem with my '10 Mounty, but this is with a new iPhone5 which replaced my iPhone4s. The 4s worked without any problems. iPhone5 will not stay connected to BT Audio.

I'll start a new thread rather than hijack this one.

Back