• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Mine did this on Saturday and also got multiple "Rear Backup Assist not Available" messages. Cleared after a couple of restarts and lots of profanity. Some things seem to be associated with how long one waits after starting the vehicle before putting it in reverse. The driving tech in this car is very frustrating. It's a 2020 so I suppose it could be a camera recall thing but it's infrequent and it didn't happen for the first year I had the car. I would have expected the dealer to check for available recalls when it was in for service. Maybe my expectations are flawed...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Mine did this on Saturday and also got multiple "Rear Backup Assist not Available" messages. Cleared after a couple of restarts and lots of profanity. Some things seem to be associated with how long one waits after starting the vehicle before putting it in reverse. It's really frustrating what a mess has been made of the driving technology in this car. It's a 2020 so I suppose it could be a camera recall thing but it's infrequent and it didn't happen for the first year I had the car. I would have expected the dealer to check for available recalls when it was in for service. Maybe my expectations are flawed...
A dealer should check for any outstanding recalls when a vehicle is brought in. Have you yourself checked to see if that recall is outstanding for your vehicle?

Peter

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Nothing shows in the Fordpass app as being applicable to my car. I haven't checked the extensive list of recalls and TSB's associated with these cars because I just expected my dealer to do it. I do have the known "brakes not working" issue as well. In that case I forgot to mention it to the dealer when dropping it off, but did on pick up, and they had done nothing to resolve it. Frankly it shouldn't be the customer's responsibility.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Nothing shows in the Fordpass app as being applicable to my car. I haven't checked the extensive list of recalls and TSB's associated with these cars because I just expected my dealer to do it. I do have the known "brakes not working" issue as well. In that case I forgot to mention it to the dealer when dropping it off, but did on pick up, and they had done nothing to resolve it. Frankly it shouldn't be the customer's responsibility.
The dealer likely checked your VIN and noticed that there were no applicable recalls for your vehicle. My dealer always checks for Recalls and TSBs applicable to my vehicle and on one service appointment informed of one.

Peter

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51

I tend to agree with you, since when is the owners job to seek out information on valid recalls and programs? Once the vehicle comes to the dealership for ANYTHING it is their responsibility to run the VIN, determine recall and programs that are applicable to the vehicle and do them all if parts are available. Not change the oil and hand it back with outstanding recalls still in the system.

They get paid by Ford for all recalls, so do it.

I normally show up for my oil change with a print out of applicable recalls so they have no choice, silly but often required.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
As I mentioned, the dealership probably checked and found no outstanding recalls since the owner himself mentioned he didn't find one. There is an assumption being made here that the dealership didn't do that.

Peter