SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford

Mine did this on Saturday and also got multiple "Rear Backup Assist not Available" messages. Cleared after a couple of restarts and lots of profanity. Some things seem to be associated with how long one waits after starting the vehicle before putting it in reverse. The driving tech in this car is very frustrating. It's a 2020 so I suppose it could be a camera recall thing but it's infrequent and it didn't happen for the first year I had the car. I would have expected the dealer to check for available recalls when it was in for service. Maybe my expectations are flawed...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did this on Saturday and also got multiple "Rear Backup Assist not Available" messages. Cleared after a couple of restarts and lots of profanity. Some things seem to be associated with how long one waits after starting the vehicle before putting it in reverse. It's really frustrating what a mess has been made of the driving technology in this car. It's a 2020 so I suppose it could be a camera recall thing but it's infrequent and it didn't happen for the first year I had the car. I would have expected the dealer to check for available recalls when it was in for service. Maybe my expectations are flawed...
A dealer should check for any outstanding recalls when a vehicle is brought in. Have you yourself checked to see if that recall is outstanding for your vehicle?

Peter

Nothing shows in the Fordpass app as being applicable to my car. I haven't checked the extensive list of recalls and TSB's associated with these cars because I just expected my dealer to do it. I do have the known "brakes not working" issue as well. In that case I forgot to mention it to the dealer when dropping it off, but did on pick up, and they had done nothing to resolve it. Frankly it shouldn't be the customer's responsibility.

Nothing shows in the Fordpass app as being applicable to my car. I haven't checked the extensive list of recalls and TSB's associated with these cars because I just expected my dealer to do it. I do have the known "brakes not working" issue as well. In that case I forgot to mention it to the dealer when dropping it off, but did on pick up, and they had done nothing to resolve it. Frankly it shouldn't be the customer's responsibility.
The dealer likely checked your VIN and noticed that there were no applicable recalls for your vehicle. My dealer always checks for Recalls and TSBs applicable to my vehicle and on one service appointment informed of one.

Peter

I tend to agree with you, since when is the owners job to seek out information on valid recalls and programs? Once the vehicle comes to the dealership for ANYTHING it is their responsibility to run the VIN, determine recall and programs that are applicable to the vehicle and do them all if parts are available. Not change the oil and hand it back with outstanding recalls still in the system.

They get paid by Ford for all recalls, so do it.

I normally show up for my oil change with a print out of applicable recalls so they have no choice, silly but often required.

As I mentioned, the dealership probably checked and found no outstanding recalls since the owner himself mentioned he didn't find one. There is an assumption being made here that the dealership didn't do that.

Peter

I am already on 3.4.21194 so what is this that's downloading?

20210919_161146.jpg

Ford has released 21194 this morning. Either OTA or on the web. Just started downloading it.
I feel that the download has fixed our Travellink and XM freezing issues. Does anyone else have theirs fixed after the download?

Yes, 21194 does fix the SXM/TL issue.
Thanks, we just bought the car 1.5 weeks ago and was so frustrated about that problem that started Day - 1! I went by the local Ford Dealer and they thought they would have to disassemble or remove the whole Sync screen to replace the XM module and wiring. I am not sure I want that done as I would not want all that to start rattling or further problems.

Thanks, we just bought the car 1.5 weeks ago and was so frustrated about that problem that started Day - 1! I went by the local Ford Dealer and they thought they would have to disassemble or remove the whole Sync screen to replace the XM module and wiring. I am not sure I want that done as I would not want all that to start rattling or further problems.
If you went to a dealership and their expert diagnosis for the SiriusXM Travel Link issue was to rip your 2 week old Explorer apart you should run as fast as you can away from that dealership. At the very least you should be writing an email to the GM of the dealership on how poorly educated his service staff are. All these issues are software related it's only as a very last resort you need to replace hardware. They should have looked at their computer to see this is known issue with software fix coming or already released. That's one scary dealership service dept. IMHO.

If you went to a dealership and their expert diagnosis for the SiriusXM Travel Link issue was to rip your 2 week old Explorer apart you should run as fast as you can away from that dealership. At the very least you should be writing an email to the GM of the dealership on how poorly educated his service staff are. All these issues are software related it's only as a very last resort you need to replace hardware. They should have looked at their computer to see this is known issue with software fix coming or already released. That's one scary dealership service dept. IMHO.
I place the blame more so on Ford's support to the dealers. Months ago Ford instructed my servicing dealer to do the same thing. So if Ford did not have a clue at the time it was the SYNC software there is no way the dealers service department would.

Just my 2 cents worth. Off my soapbox now.

How about this one.

Last Thursday night out of nowhere all my SXM subscriptions were cancelled. After late night texting with them they claimed that my dealership cancelled my 5 year Trial Subscription to SXM gave me a $106 credit! I told them that was not possible and to reinstate the trial and they could have the credit back. After about an hours worth of texting the only way they said they could fix this was to have my dealership contact them to do it. They did give me a 90 day trial for Audio only while I tried to sort this out with Ford.

The next day I show up at the dealership with this crazy story and the Service Adviser was very helpful and called SXM and assured them they did nothing. He was very persistent and got them to give me a trial for both Audio and Travel link but had to send an email to some Regional SXM manager to fully reinstate the 5 years. As of today, only the travel link is reinstated and I am still working on that.

But the real problem is now that they re subscribed me, I have the the Travel Link issue again!!! I confirmed with SXM that it was truly on and did their diagnostics but it did not correct it. I then rolled back Sync to 20280 but no joy so I updated back to 21194 and was at the dealership this morning. They found no error codes but went to a TSB that said use an old version of Sync. Before they were to do that I told them to make sure they knew I was up to date. After realizing that I was they said the next step was to replace the APIM. I am waiting for the dealership to let me know whether they intend to do this. What a real fiasco this is going to be since 21194 should have fixed the problem.

That is crazy. Makes you wonder who is to blame for it getting cancelled, Ford or Sirius. And why would travel link not be working again for you. Would seem odd if the APIM just happened to fail at the same time. Good luck on getting it resolved.

That is crazy. Makes you wonder who is to blame for it getting cancelled, Ford or Sirius. And why would travel link not be working again for you. Would seem odd if the APIM just happened to fail at the same time. Good luck on getting it resolved.
Thanks Dale. Yes this is nuts. To add insult to injury I'm past the warranty period however the dealership is working with me. They still have an open work order from the first time I reported this few months ago. They never resolved it because I rolled back to 20282 and I also have the extended warranty so I'm covered. But my fear is that the APIM has nothing to do with it but they have to follow the TSM before they can go any further.

As someone who has had 6 Explorers Im even getting to the point where I just can't believe the SYNC3 disaster stories keep on coming. I look at my wifes 2016 Jeep GC Overland with U-Connect 4 not one single issue ever. Screen transitions faster, GUI easy to use always ready to go, no waiting for two minutes after you start the car to touch buttons, no software download issues, no blue screens, no reboots, no SiriusXM issues. I think this will be my last Explorer.

I was in a demo Mach E last week with SYNC4, noticed exact same GUI issues as SYNC3, nothing really changed. The boot up on the SYNC4 system just as sluggish, pinch to zoom awkward and not user friendly. Very disappointing.

As someone who has had 6 Explorers Im even getting to the point where I just can't believe the SYNC3 disaster stories keep on coming. I look at my wifes 2016 Jeep GC Overland with U-Connect 4 not one single issue ever. Screen transitions faster, GUI easy to use always ready to go, no waiting for two minutes after you start the car to touch buttons, no software download issues, no blue screens, no reboots, no SiriusXM issues. I think this will be my last Explorer.

I was in a demo Mach E last week with SYNC4, noticed exact same GUI issues as SYNC3, nothing really changed. The boot up on the SYNC4 system just as sluggish, pinch to zoom awkward and not user friendly. Very disappointing.
Chrysler is the gold standard for infotainment systems. Your 2016 GC has a Harman radio which are excellent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

During my many issues with HD Radio and Sync3 I saw the same things with Sync4 with a loaner Edge that had it.

Back