Sync issue with USB drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync issue with USB drive

Ahmad Salem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2013
hi there

I am having a weird issue with my sync in explorer 2013. I have been using a usb flash drive with no issues, yet it was not full of music, it was almost 1 GB. Then I have added some more, almost 11 GB more on the same flash drive and now sync is not working, even the phone also. I have tried using a different flash drive but the same problem exists. When I have deleted some music from the flash drive, it worked again.

So anyone have faced this issue before or know what to do ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi there

I am having a weird issue with my sync in explorer 2013. I have been using a usb flash drive with no issues, yet it was not full of music, it was almost 1 GB. Then I have added some more, almost 11 GB more on the same flash drive and now sync is not working, even the phone also. I have tried using a different flash drive but the same problem exists. When I have deleted some music from the flash drive, it worked again.

So anyone have faced this issue before or know what to do ?
I don't have the answer but just wanted to say welcome to the Forum.:wave: It seems strange it would affect the phone.

Peter

I don't have the answer but just wanted to say welcome to the Forum.:wave: It seems strange it would affect the phone.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Actually the whole thing just freezes as if it is not there at all.

Hi Ahmad Salem,

When you connect a media device for music, SYNC indexes the content to display song info (artist, song title, etc). It's possible that SYNC froze while trying to index because it was too much. Which system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/setup/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html Get back to me when you get the chance.

Shaay

Hi Ahmad Salem,

When you connect a media device for music, SYNC indexes the content to display song info (artist, song title, etc). It's possible that SYNC froze while trying to index because it was too much. Which system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/setup/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html Get back to me when you get the chance.

Shaay

Hi Shaay

I have the basic SYNC, in your link it comes under "SYNC and MyFord SYNC"

I have already tried this before and it didn't work. But I have seen that there are other users who were able to connect even bigger usb drives than mine and it worked.
Anyways thanks again

maybe one(or more) of those music files you removed is corrupt? Try adding them back a few at a time.

Yes this is actually what am planning to do

I agree with Lewisra. SYNC doesn't know what to do when something is in the correct format or corrupt. Keep me in the loop.

Shaay

I agree with Lewisra. SYNC doesn't know what to do when something is in the correct format or corrupt. Keep me in the loop.

Shaay
Sure will do but just need to know what are the file formats that SYNC can play. And how do we define a file as corrupted ? Maybe I can do the check on the laptop first

Shaay
Just a quick update here. I have added all the music, folder by folder, and till now it is working properly. Remaining now is one folder which is the biggest one and that's why I thought of keeping it till the end. I will try adding it tonight and see.

Surprisingly it works

So the issue has been sorted out by gradually adding the music instead of adding it all at once.

Thank you all for your help

After long research and contacting the IVT team in Ford, I have found some issues that need to be put out to the public as this is not well know even with the dealerships, seems that Sync MFT can only handle a 4gb memory stick that MUST BE FORMATTED in FAT format. Do not use any other format as that will cause issues with MFT. Also do not leave the USB stick inserted for long periods of time as it causes conflicts within the MFT system. Seems this piece is known in the IVT but not popularized. I had experienced many issues with MFT while I have always left a 16GB USB stick (formatted NTFS) inserted. Always trying to figure them out and many, many MFT resets without resolve. Once I found out about the USB issues and MFT, once I removed the USB stick I had, MFT has been working very, very well also with using a 4gb FAT formatted stick. If Ford would give out these items, many people would not be having issues and trying (with great frustration) to figure them out!

After long research and contacting the IVT team in Ford, I have found some issues that need to be put out to the public as this is not well know even with the dealerships, seems that Sync MFT can only handle a 4gb memory stick that MUST BE FORMATTED in FAT format. Do not use any other format as that will cause issues with MFT. Also do not leave the USB stick inserted for long periods of time as it causes conflicts within the MFT system. Seems this piece is known in the IVT but not popularized. I had experienced many issues with MFT while I have always left a 16GB USB stick (formatted NTFS) inserted. Always trying to figure them out and many, many MFT resets without resolve. Once I found out about the USB issues and MFT, once I removed the USB stick I had, MFT has been working very, very well also with using a 4gb FAT formatted stick. If Ford would give out these items, many people would not be having issues and trying (with great frustration) to figure them out!

What does MFT and IVT mean?

MFT "My Ford Touch" and IVT "In Vehicle Technology" team

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the issue for USB is with all SYNC configurations in general (not JUST SYNC with MFT). However I suggest within this forum ask an IVT member.

Back