Sync/Nav Etc Poof, all gone...Sony stereo culprit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync/Nav Etc Poof, all gone...Sony stereo culprit

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
literally leaving town for vacation, go into convenience store, come back out, nothing, nothing on the screen, no radio, no climate, no nav no phone

take it to dealer, 3 hours later i have all but nav back so left town, told me sony radio or stereo is malfunctioning with sync and this is happening to others

anybody out there know about this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was backing out to the garage yesterday evening and got the BSOD (Black Screen of Death :D) as well. I don't have the Sony radio.

After about 3 or 4 minutes it rebooted and everything started working. It did a full hard reset.

I thought I was going to have do a power-off reset, or worse a dead APIM, but it just lost its mind for a minute or two.

I was backing out to the garage yesterday evening and got the BSOD (Black Screen of Death :D) as well. I don't have the Sony radio.

After about 3 or 4 minutes it rebooted and everything started working. It did a full hard reset.

I thought I was going to have do a power-off reset, or worse a dead APIM, but it just lost its mind for a minute or two.

what are those things please, power off reset and apim, and how do you do that?

Its means either disconnecting the positive battery lead for a couple minutes or removing fuse #29 so the power is shut off to SYNC system completely.

The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, which Ford calls the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with all vehicle audio sources as well as the high-speed and medium-speed vehicle CAN-buses.

The first generation of the Ford's SYNC computer was designed in cooperation with Continental AG[18] and is built around a 400 MHz Freescale i.MX31L processor with an ARM 11 CPU core, uses 256MB of 133 MHz Mobile DDR SDRAM from Micron and 2GB of Samsung NAND flash memory,runs the Microsoft Auto operating system,[21] and uses speech technology by Nuance Communications. (From Wikipedia)

Utilizing the USB port, SYNC's Microsoft Windows Auto-based operating system can be updated to work with new personal electronic devices. A Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) BlueCore4 chip provides Bluetooth connectivity with compatible phones and devices. SYNC's major chips cost US$27.80 which allows Ford to profitably sell the system at a much lower price than competitive offerings.

Its means either disconnecting the positive battery lead for a couple minutes or removing fuse #29 so the power is shut off to SYNC system completely.

The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, which Ford calls the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with all vehicle audio sources as well as the high-speed and medium-speed vehicle CAN-buses.

The first generation of the Ford's SYNC computer was designed in cooperation with Continental AG[18] and is built around a 400 MHz Freescale i.MX31L processor with an ARM 11 CPU core, uses 256MB of 133 MHz Mobile DDR SDRAM from Micron and 2GB of Samsung NAND flash memory,runs the Microsoft Auto operating system,[21] and uses speech technology by Nuance Communications. (From Wikipedia)

Utilizing the USB port, SYNC's Microsoft Windows Auto-based operating system can be updated to work with new personal electronic devices. A Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) BlueCore4 chip provides Bluetooth connectivity with compatible phones and devices. SYNC's major chips cost US$27.80 which allows Ford to profitably sell the system at a much lower price than competitive offerings.

but can it make coffee? :) thanks, where is the fuse box?

Under the IP below the steering wheel but disconnect the battery its easier and faster.

thanks, battery, dont know what IP is...

Sorry

IP = Instrument Panel

Battery is easier to do then getting to the fuse. IMHO

Sorry

IP = Instrument Panel

Battery is easier to do then getting to the fuse. IMHO

i figured out ip after i thought about it, sometimes i am dense

thanks

Back