SYNC no longer playing incoming texts over the stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC no longer playing incoming texts over the stereo

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
2013 XLT with the SYNC, My Ford touch with voice activated everything and I am using a Verizon Motorola XT907 Droid Razr M

For the past year and a half I was able to hear incoming text messages over the stereo. Now all of a sudden that has ceased to operate. The system now states that my phone does not support that function. It did for the past 18 months so how come it has all of a sudden stopped. I could not find anything in the phone settings to enable it.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the issue just yesterday with my Explorer Limited; I'm no longer be able to receive sms.
I have an iPhone 5c iOS7.06

Same with me with an HTC Sensation with Android ICS that for some reason does text to voice on the SYNC for my 2009 Escape, but not my Ex with the latest MFT/SYNC software.

I'm using an Android app that does text to talk for texts and emails as a work around, but I have to be streaming Bluetooth media for it to work.

I just confirmed the app goes over the media portion of Bluetooth and not the phone portion.

Thanks Peter. Not really what I am experiencing. Neither the phone nor SYNC has go thru any updates since last year. It simply just stopped working. I will try to repair the phone and SYNC today to see if that works!

Try turning off bluetooth on your vehicle and then reboot your phone and then turn bluetooth back on and reconnect. If that doesn't work try this, delete the phone from MFT and MFT from your phone. Then re-pair them. When you do this be sure to check your phone just after it's paired. On my Android it asks to allow messaging. If neither work let me know, I will find the other "fix".

Dr. Plastic, if you're on a version before 3.6.2 try the delayed reboot talked about here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390880

I figured out what the problem was. I re-paired the phone. When it asked that "SYNC wants to access your messages" I answered "yes". It now works. I think I remember having to re-pair the phone a week ago and answered "no".

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I figured out what the problem was. I re-paired the phone. When it asked that "SYNC wants to access your messages" I answered "yes". It now works. I think I remember having to re-pair the phone a week ago and answered "no".

Ah ha! User error!:D

Peter

I'll post here since I believe that my question about SYNC may? fit in. I bought my 2013 Explorer used, do I have to sign up with Ford sync? or can I "sync" my Nexus 4 android phone with the truck using the USB cable? Hopefully were on the "same page" here?

I'll post here since I believe that my question about SYNC may? fit in. I bought my 2013 Explorer used, do I have to sign up with Ford sync? or can I "sync" my Nexus 4 android phone with the truck using the USB cable? Hopefully were on the "same page" here?
You should register so that when updates for the MyFord Touch system become available you will be able to download them. Not registering should not prevent you from using the system as far as I know.

Peter

You need to register to use "SYNC Services", but no need to register to sync your phone to the in vehicle audio system. For calling and incoming texts use Bluetooth phone connection, also can be used for music or internet radio etc from phone connected to Bluetooth audio(audio connection). USB is used for audio connections and charging.

OK I took Pete's advice and registered at Ford Sync, I don't quite get the "Bluetooth" concept? so do I enable Bluetooth on my phone (Nexus 4) or do I plug it into the USB and go from there? and if this works will the call? message come through the radio/screen?? and I'll use the controls on the steering wheel? Oh and does this cost anything?
Thanks

OK I took Pete's advice and registered at Ford Sync, I don't quite get the "Bluetooth" concept? so do I enable Bluetooth on my phone (Nexus 4) or do I plug it into the USB and go from there? and if this works will the call? message come through the radio/screen?? and I'll use the controls on the steering wheel? Oh and does this cost anything?
Thanks
Bluetooth indicates it is a wireless connection. You have to set up your phone's Bluetooth system, also called 'pairing it' with the vehicle's system. Since I don't use messaging, look at post #8 above and see if your phone requests the same when setting it up.

Peter

OK, I'll give this a try. thanks.

OK, I'll give this a try. thanks.

Do you have kids? nieces or nephews? neighbor kids?

Have them explain and show you how to use it. My kids are teaching me something tech new every day.

LOL, thanks, I'm familiar with the new technology so it's all good.

I'm glad it's working again, Dr Plastic!

Thanks

Hi Mildot,

Welcome and congrats on your new-to-you Explorer!

Did you find the answers you're looking for? If not, I'd like to answer any questions you may have; however, I'll need to know where you're located and which SYNC system you have (4.2 inch radio screen, or a touchscreen). If it's easier for you, send me your questions and VIN in a private message.

Rebecca

LOL, thanks, I'm familiar with the new technology so it's all good.

OK, you had me with "I don't quite get the "Bluetooth" concept".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try turning off bluetooth on your vehicle and then reboot your phone and then turn bluetooth back on and reconnect. If that doesn't work try this, delete the phone from MFT and MFT from your phone. Then re-pair them. When you do this be sure to check your phone just after it's paired. On my Android it asks to allow messaging. If neither work let me know, I will find the other "fix".

Dr. Plastic, if you're on a version before 3.6.2 try the delayed reboot talked about here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390880

This worked for me
Thanks a lot

Back