• Register Today It's free!

SYNC Question

artnalex

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
My wife drives our 2011 Explorer on a daily basis. So all of the google maps go directly to her cell phone, if we need help with navigation/directions.

However, there are times when I drive the car, and she is not with me (vegas trip, golf trips, etc.). Is there another way to add my cell phone to the list (without deleting her number), so that my cell phone can receive the directions/maps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you can add up to 4 (I think)phones to the Explorer.
Not sure about your other question as I've never tried it.

Yes, I believe you can pair up to 4 cell phones.

But, my understanding is that only one cellphone is used for submitting all Google map directions, Health Checks, etc.

Anyone know how to add another cell phone number on SYNC My Ride (without deleting the primary phone number)?

The only way to do this, without having to login to her account every time, would be to purchase a subscription for your cell phone number. You would have to create a separate account on SYNCMyRide.com.

You can add your cell phone number to her account and switch between the two as needed. Doing it this way won't delete her phone number from the system but you'll have to remember to switch it back to her number once you're done using it. This can be done in the Account Settings/Phone Number Management area.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rebecca

OK. Thanks. That is what I suspected.

SO since I am new this IVT and only had vor a couple weeks. my iphone is presently paired to my vehicle. Do I need to use nav on my phone or can i use the onboard nav separately from my phone? If i create a sync my ride subscription what does that get me and is it free or fee. I already have sat radio subscription.

We are taking a long trip this Weekend and is it possible to sync my wife and daughters phone so we can play their music via the blue tooth as well ? can their phone nav be used if we wish and it be streamed to car vs using the on board nav?

SO since I am new this IVT and only had vor a couple weeks. my iphone is presently paired to my vehicle. Do I need to use nav on my phone or can i use the onboard nav separately from my phone? If i create a sync my ride subscription what does that get me and is it free or fee. I already have sat radio subscription.

We are taking a long trip this Weekend and is it possible to sync my wife and daughters phone so we can play their music via the blue tooth as well ? can their phone nav be used if we wish and it be streamed to car vs using the on board nav?

No you cannot stream anything to MFT from a mobile device without further add in mods, such as this add in component.
(Its not OEM nor would be dealer approved)

Only 1 device at a time can be paired with MFT & its free.
To switch back and forth you would need to unpair yours and pair your 2nd device, etc.
You can do this and use either phone for calls and media, but only 1 at a time & the non primary phone just wouldnt be connected via Sync & therefore your Owner acct., which doesnt matter anyway-its not worth paying for.

You use MFT nav and your phone, individually.
In no way can the phone relate to MFT inside the car in terms of features or things the phone can do, other than MFT can do this with your phone paired:
-voice commands directing dialing or call settings
-a wifi hotspot and internet access via phone,
-call & audio functions of calls,
-MFT can real aloud received txt messages if using supported phone,
-911 emergency dialing from MFT if phone paired during an accident and airbags deploy or fuel pump is shut off;
-music streaming using supported device;

MFT can be a hotspot but would connect to a paired phone for internet access.
But why bother when the phone itself can be the hotspot? Also comments on here state that MFT wont always connect to the (tethered) phone for internet.
Generally many devices are carrier restricted and tethering is not allowed unless a service & fee is added on your phone account, but hey - try it out and see.
Some phones will and others wont, as the phones hotspot feature/app is considered tethering.
(unlocked phones - it still may be considered tethering by all carriers you may roam on, instead of being stuck to only 1 carrier.)

A phone enabled in your SyncMyRide/Ford Owner acct gets you the ability to send a trip you already planned via a map site that supports Sync, to your phone and then if paired in the car, to Sync for turn by turn directions.
It lets you generate a Vehicle Health report and send it from the car via your paired phone to your acct, but this doesnt get used for anything and is too basic info for any type of troubleshooting for a real problem. No one uses it, especially the dealer shop.

The Nav is better than using Sync for travel- its a lot of bother just for directions, but allows for an exact trip plan instead of nav route and potential re-routes.

sh*t i need to stop & hit the sack!

Sync and Nav

LD,
Thanks for taking the time to write for this old coot. Sounds like I took a down grade from 10 expedition limited. I could connect more than one device yeesh and play their music.

Nav on expy was great I was assuming this would have been at least as good.. YEESH..

Thanks again,

LD,
Thanks for taking the time to write for this old coot. Sounds like I took a down grade from 10 expedition limited. I could connect more than one device yeesh and play their music.

Nav on expy was great I was assuming this would have been at least as good.. YEESH..

Thanks again,

You CAN connect several Bluetooth devices(phones, ipods, etc). I often have my phone connected for calls and texts and the wife's phone for music. For navigation I use the onboard navigation. Often I use an app called Destinations(iOS not sure if there's an app for android) it sends the destination from my phone to SYNC Services and then I down load it to my nav. You used to be able to do the same thing with MapQuest, not sure if that still works. SYNC Services is free for the first 3 years, you need to activate it each year. I assume we are talking about MFT.

Back