• Register Today It's free!

Sync Services and directions

TimSuds

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I just became aware of the Sync/Services/Directions feature and have grown to like it because I am much more successful with getting the system to recognize an address using this method.

However, when directions are sent to the navigation unit via this method, the turn by turn voice commands no longer function.

Is this normal behavior?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the wont work while downloading once its done it should resume normal operations.

I just became aware of the Sync/Services/Directions feature and have grown to like it because I am much more successful with getting the system to recognize an address using this method.

However, when directions are sent to the navigation unit via this method, the turn by turn voice commands no longer function.

Is this normal behavior?

After the directions are downloaded, hit the Voice button on your steering wheel then say "Voice guidance ON" when prompted. This should allow you to hear the turn-by-turn directions again.

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

This did not correct it.

It acknowledges the command but I have now lost all voice guidance and am not able to re-enable it.

Any other suggestions?

This did not correct it.

It acknowledges the command but I have now lost all voice guidance and am not able to re-enable it.

Any other suggestions?

You can do a Master Reset and it will put everything back to factory defaults. Has anyone been in the menus playing with settings? You can also check the Voice Control Volume (MENU > SETTINGS > VOICE CONTROL > VOICE CONTROL VOLUME) and the System Prompt Volume (MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > SYSTEM PROMPT VOLUME).

Rebecca

Checked all of those and they were all set correctly.

The system went into one of its random reboots while driving today and all is well afterwards.

I do not have a Nav screen enabled on my XLT. Recently I used the directions feature and spoke with a person. They located the address and sent directions to my Ex with no problem. The directions took us to a Ferry Crossing!? Luckily we did not drive into the water as seen on TV.

I thought in 2011 that either the software or the person on the other line would have been smart enough to ask if I wanted to take a ferry? In a high tech system like SYNC I would have expected it to realize (have pre programmed) that the Ferry doesn't run from November to March but that might be too much to ask.

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere to tell SYNC to avoid Ferry crossings?

As a result we were 45 minutes late to our dinner and gave everyone quite a laugh.

I do not have a Nav screen enabled on my XLT. Recently I used the directions feature and spoke with a person. They located the address and sent directions to my Ex with no problem. The directions took us to a Ferry Crossing!? Luckily we did not drive into the water as seen on TV.

I thought in 2011 that either the software or the person on the other line would have been smart enough to ask if I wanted to take a ferry? In a high tech system like SYNC I would have expected it to realize (have pre programmed) that the Ferry doesn't run from November to March but that might be too much to ask.

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere to tell SYNC to avoid Ferry crossings?

As a result we were 45 minutes late to our dinner and gave everyone quite a laugh.

Hey, Trembler!

I'm glad you were able to laugh about it! Unfortunately, there is no setting for SYNC Services to avoid Ferries, but you can always send the directions to your vehicle from MapQuest. They have options for Ferries, Tolls, Highways, etc.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Unfortunately using Mapquest is not a solution. Can you please see to it that this gets on the list of changes to be included in the major update next year?

It would also be helpful if people at the call center were instructed to take an extra second to review the directions before sending them to the vehicle. That way they could ask, "do you want to use the ferry?" or "do you want to avoid the toll roads?". These are common options offered by a $59 TomTom.

Thank you,

Hi Rebecca,

Unfortunately using Mapquest is not a solution. Can you please see to it that this gets on the list of changes to be included in the major update next year?

It would also be helpful if people at the call center were instructed to take an extra second to review the directions before sending them to the vehicle. That way they could ask, "do you want to use the ferry?" or "do you want to avoid the toll roads?". These are common options offered by a $59 TomTom.

Thank you,

Trembler -

SYNC Services is not directly linked with MyFord Touch as it's an option for newer SYNC-equipped vehicles. So, it will not be addressed in the upgrade.

Please feel free to share your thoughts under YOUR IDEAS, here:

www.Social.Ford.com

I hope you all have a great New Year!

Rebecca

Back