• Register Today It's free!

Sync services

copierking

Reaction score
City, State
Chippewa Lake MI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Platinum
If your explorer is already equipped with navigation what are the advantages of connecting to ford sync services. Are there apps and other things you can do with your android phone connected. Needless to say I'm new and confused. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Confusion will wear off in a few days.

If you have MFT w/ Sync, then there is nothing additional you can get except a VHR-'vehicle health report' sent from your car via your connected phone to your owner acct online at fordowner.com.
This isnt used for anything so its more for you to view any problems with the most basic car maintenance items-oil, washer fluid, air, misc list of similar.

Cars without MFT can use Sync for a few more things, including AppLink to connect apps from their phone to the car while connected.

MFT=MyFordTouch - touch screen controller in car.
It has 4 quadrants controlling 4 items-Phone, Climate, Nav, Music.

MFT can be a wifi hot spot also, but without tethering it to your cellphone, itself a hot spot, MFT cant connect to anything by itself, no internal cellular connectivity is yet to be included.

Sync=name of sync-ing capable product & service, but is only in some models.
Sync in cars without the touch screen has the most features.

Sync in MFT cars is a couple services that can be sent from the web to your phone to your car, like directions you plotted online for a trip. The rest are features of MFT that are called Sync-like connecting your music player to MFT is a Sync function, but is really just plugging a device into the USB port of MFT.
...essentially nothing but a name derived from Microsoft's ActiveSync technology that began as syncing between a PDA and your PC or Outlook, then later Windows phones and your Outlook, and scanners and inventory devices and your PC. It allowed Windows & USB devices to pair up and work or share operations or data or both.

AppLink-app-linking conduit in MFT that was to connect your smartphone to the car and share certain or many apps.
Was touted and promised as next gen connectivity utilizing smartphone integration with the vehicle infotainment system.
Then for MFT cars-they left it at that, twas never mentioned again.
In MFT equipped cars, it does nothing.
No one knows why for sure.

If your explorer is already equipped with navigation what are the advantages of connecting to ford sync services. Are there apps and other things you can do with your android phone connected. Needless to say I'm new and confused. :)

I've used sync services to find restaurants, stores, destinations etc. and then it will either connect me or send the end point for the nav to create directions, whichever I prefer. It's a nice hands free way of doing this. I wouldn't pay the extra fee to have it after the free period expires, but it's a nice to have when needed.

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
You don't have to be 'new' here to be confused. Happens to members quite often. In my case it is a semi natural state.;)
I believe your question has been answered. You may also want to check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329056&highlight=sync+services
Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Thank You

Peter thank you for you help. It's been an interesting learning curve with, MFT. Also thank you Lewisra and LukerDooker

There is an App. Ford SYNC Destinations that will work with services. I use it to find where I want to go on the map and then select "Send to SYNC". I get in the EXP and press the voice button and say "Services" then do what it says and it downloads the destination to your car...

Back