Sync usb and aux on non sync radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync usb and aux on non sync radio

Stpleb

Reaction score
City, State
McDonald, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Explorer Police Int
I have a 2014 PIU and recently bought the one piu center console for it that doesn’t have the shifter slot but it’s from a 2017. The console itself bolted up and installed nicely. I noticed that it has the usb and aux jack in the cubby on it so I’m wondering if there is anyway I can splice those in to work with my stock non sync radio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the "cubby" is known as the 'Media Hub'. Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question.

Peter

The small plate with the inputs is removable and you would want to get one with the ports to match what was on your original/partial center console from your 2014. I believe there are a few options for plates and you will probably need a blank one if you have no USB or aux on your 2014.

Alternatively, you can just remove the USB/aux ports from the plate you have and plug/cover the holes in the plate.

The small plate with the inputs is removable and you would want to get one with the ports to match what was on your original/partial center console from your 2014. I believe there are a few options for plates and you will probably need a blank one if you have no USB or aux on your 2014.

Alternatively, you can just remove the USB/aux ports from the plate you have and plug/cover the holes in the plate.

To be clear are you saying that if your PIU didn't ship with the AUX and USB ports that there are no connections in the back oc the radio/head unit to attach the USB and aux ports to? did the PIUs that came with those have Sync1 systems? I haven't torn my dash apart yet but I was hoping to wire in the AUX port and hoping out radios had a Micro USB port like the others use. I'd just like a clear confirmation one way or the other but I've seen some people say they got AUX working on retail consoles, so just curious how if they have the stock head unit.

To be clear are you saying that if your PIU didn't ship with the AUX and USB ports that there are no connections in the back oc the radio/head unit to attach the USB and aux ports to? did the PIUs that came with those have Sync1 systems? I haven't torn my dash apart yet but I was hoping to wire in the AUX port and hoping out radios had a Micro USB port like the others use. I'd just like a clear confirmation one way or the other but I've seen some people say they got AUX working on retail consoles, so just curious how if they have the stock head unit.

You can add the AUX inputs, The wires will go to the ACM on Connecter 240A. Pin 6, 16, 17 & 18 are the Left and right Pos/Neg inputs. To use the USB you must have the SYNC module.

No. I said there are different options for plates and you can get a plate that matches the inputs you have. If you don't have sync, you can add aux as mentioned above. Jason/pimods has a kit to add aux if you want to go that route.

Alternatively, you can use the plate with both holes and plug them if you prefer.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything correctly. I think the biggest question before all these answers had been around adding USB and how people without sync might be adding USB support when adding a retail console. I hadn't been able to find an answer about which head units had the USB support and which didn't but I had guessed it was tied to the SYNC module. Thanks for clarifying.

Now I just need to find some shielded cable to wire up that AUX port! I see 4in of them handing out of my retail console to splice into.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything correctly. I think the biggest question before all these answers had been around adding USB and how people without sync might be adding USB support when adding a retail console. I hadn't been able to find an answer about which head units had the USB support and which didn't but I had guessed it was tied to the SYNC module. Thanks for clarifying.

Now I just need to find some shielded cable to wire up that AUX port! I see 4in of them handing out of my retail console to splice into.

Here is what I have been using..... 25' Length 2 Conductor 22 Gauge Stranded Shielded Cable ~ CL3 600V 2C 22AWG | eBay

Hello,

I have the same exact issue right now.
I have the 2015 PIU non sync

I put in a 2014 Ford Explorer Civilian console in. It has the media hub in there with USB and AUX.
I dont care about the USB port, I only care about the AUX.

How did you manage to wire that?
What is the wiring?
Did the AUX button work when you wired everything?

I'm tired of using the trash radio transmitter! :)

Thank you.

I'm also currently digging through the wires trying to wire up AUX. I'll post pictures once I'm back to the car. I'm also attempting to wire up the 110v plug from a limited floor console. Not to hijack but I think my first post got deleted.. Can the USB Inputs be powered using an existing accessory cable to enable charging?

I'm also currently digging through the wires trying to wire up AUX. I'll post pictures once I'm back to the car. I'm also attempting to wire up the 110v plug from a limited floor console. Not to hijack but I think my first post got deleted.. Can the USB Inputs be powered using an existing accessory cable to enable charging?
This appears to be your first and only post. I don't see where one was deleted.

Peter

This appears to be your first and only post. I don't see where one was deleted.

Peter

Thanks! Maybe it was my internet connection, no problem!

Thanks! Maybe it was my internet connection, no problem!
Found your other post. It required approval since it seemed to match a possible Spam post. It has been approved and is no visible.

Peter

Hope this helps; this is what I just ordered from Amazon. This way I can plug in my MP3 or my thumb drive

1643851355227.png
1643851412523.png

Back