Sync1 to Sync 3 Swap Parts

Khaloodi

Reaction score
City, State
Kuwait, Hawally
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base
Hello,

I'm looking to swap my Sync1 4.2in system with a Sync3 8in touchscreen system in my dad's 2017 Base Explorer.

So far, I understand that I need those parts:
- Sync3 APIM
- 8in touchscreen
- 8in radio bezel
- 4 to 8 wiring harness
- New USB hub and its wires

However, some people that I've talked to about this have mentioned that I need a new HVAC control module with automatic climate, and some didn't. I need a definitive answer as I'm planning to buy the stuff throughout the next couple of weeks.

Thanks, y'all for your time and help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Below is a link to what you will need. I suggest piecing it together yourself since the site listed is quite pricey, but complete:

Agreed, it's very expensive. I've managed to find all the parts individually on eBay and Amazon for about 1000 bucks including shipping.

I just want to confirm whether the HVAC control module is necessary or not, because it's very limited in terms of stock and is the most expensive part on my list (about 300 bucks on its own). I'm not trusting 4dtech nor infotainment as both of them seem like they enjoy ripping off Ford owners who haven't researched things well enough.

Agreed, it's very expensive. I've managed to find all the parts individually on eBay and Amazon for about 1000 bucks including shipping.

I just want to confirm whether the HVAC control module is necessary or not, because it's very limited in terms of stock and is the most expensive part on my list (about 300 bucks on its own). I'm not trusting 4dtech nor infotainment as both of them seem like they enjoy ripping off Ford owners who haven't researched things well enough.
You will need the HVAC control due to the way it is integrated as one piece. It completely encompasses the Sync screen, doubling as a bezel and the 4" one you have will not work.

You will need the HVAC control due to the way it is integrated as one piece. It completely encompasses the Sync screen, doubling as a bezel and the 4" one you have will not work.
I think you misunderstood me there. The FCIM (or radio bezel as I mentioned above) is what is used to house the screen and the AC controls. The HVAC control module is a black plastic box with 2 or so ports, placed under the ACM.

I just did a sync 3 conversion in a 2015 Explorer. I did not change the hvac module but then again I also started with the 8" screen. The apim must be programmed to your vehicle.

I just did a sync 3 conversion in a 2015 Explorer. I did not change the hvac module but then again I also started with the 8" screen. The apim must be programmed to your vehicle.
Was the car equipped with automatic temperature control before you switched it over to the sync 3 system?

Yes, I'll add in the only pic I took as well.
20210804_122029.jpg

I can’t help you there because I also had auto temp and dual climate in place.
I would contact 4dTech and ask what is needed. But since they sell the 4”-8” conversion kits, then they would be best suited to be knowledgeable on the necessary parts.

I can’t help you there because I also had auto temp and dual climate in place.
I would contact 4dTech and ask what is needed. But since they sell the 4”-8” conversion kits, then they would be best suited to be knowledgeable on the necessary parts.
Alright, I'll follow your advice and post any updates here.

Okay, 4dTech people said this: "Because of the required bezel changes the HVAC module also needs to be replaced to work properly.". I think you can reprogram the FCIM for it to work with the manual climate control module. I've asked some wire harness guys called Bestycar if they know anything about this. I'll post their response here as well.

Hello,

I'm looking to swap my Sync1 4.2in system with a Sync3 8in touchscreen system in my dad's 2017 Base Explorer.

- Sync3 APIM
- 8in touchscreen
- 8in radio bezel
- 4 to 8 wiring harness

However, some people that I've talked to about this have mentioned that I need a new HVAC control module with automatic climate, and some didn't. I need a definitive answer as I'm planning to buy the stuff throughout the next couple of weeks.

Hey! I just did the same thing and am having the same issues. What was the outcome? Went from Sync 1 4inch screen to Sync 3 and everything works except the Climate Control.

Let me know what worked for you.!

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Trevor. :wave:

Peter

Done. Thanks!
Hi Trevor!

I ended up postponing my upgrade since the car's AC is still under warranty and I don't wanna void it. I'll wait it out and perform the upgrade next year.

From what I've researched, however, is that you will need an automatic temperature HVAC control module so that you can have functional climate control through the Sync system. I'll look at my research docs later today and post here if I find any more details about the specific module number you'll need.

Nice job getting the stuff to work, and good luck with the climate control. PS. If you don't mind telling me what wiring harness you used for the upgrade, and where you got it from, that would be great. :)

Thanks,
Khaled.

Hello,

- Sync3 APIM
- 8in touchscreen
- 8in radio bezel
- 4 to 8 wiring harness

Will they inch radio bezel out of a 2017 work in a 2011? Will it plug a play withthe other controls

Will they inch radio bezel out of a 2017 work in a 2011? Will it plug a play withthe other controls
Welcome to the Forum, :wave:
Hopefully, the member is still following. He was last seen on Feb. 12th.

Peter

No, 2011-2015 and 2016-2019 are the year ranges you can interchange the bezel controls. In 2016 they changed network protocols and formats, also slightly changed size and changed the electrical plug. You can make it fit and plug in, but no one has managed to make it talk to the car correctly. Just get a 2011-2015 for your 2011.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back