• Register Today It's free!

SYNC2 Map Update - Version A8

GrumpyOne

Reaction score
City, State
No. VI, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I see the there's finally an update for Sync2 maps, version A8. It's so new it hasn't shown up on eBay yet. :)

Anyone have it yet?

-jw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ones on ebay are copies so stay clear of them. People are ripping "you" off by charging retail price.

I saw that with this map update you may need a sync update.

Wonder if that is the 3.10 update

I saw that with this map update you may need a sync update.

Wonder if that is the 3.10 update
Do you have a link to that info?
Also, please add the 'trim level' (Base, XLT, etc.) of your 2015 to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be helpful info to have when replying to certain posts. Thanks.

Peter

It's bad enough to have to pay $150 for map upgrades, but they say "Standard shipping $ 29.95". For a microSD card the size of a thumbnail. But hey, free shipping through July!

Map update site says the A8 is for Explorer 2011-15 model years. When searching for my 2016 it says I have the latest version available (A7)

I just bought and installed an A8 card that I purchased on Ebay for my 2016 ExPlat. The reviews for this Seller were all positive for this A8 SD card and I used Ebays' 'Make Offer' option with a lowball price - which the Seller took, got it in 3 days.
Installation was as easy as removing the A6 card and sliding in the new A8 SD card, it works fine and shows all the POI's and other data it should. My old destinations, favorites and other data was not removed, thankfully. Using the 'How to determine your SW version' instructions found on this webpage it shows my Sync system software is compatible with the new A8 map software, in addition, the Map Database Version is shown as 'A8'.

So far so good but I will update this post if I find any abnormalities.

I'm curious what the lowball offer was but don't want to be rude. Lol.

I'm curious what the lowball offer was but don't want to be rude. Lol.
:) Try 20% less than the asking price, there is a lot of competition on Ebay.
It is still too expensive but buying a 2016 car with a 2015 map card in it has miffed me from the start, so now I have what appears to be a 2017-2018 SD map card.

Put it in your computer with the write protector tab in the up position. Then try to save a simple notepad file to it. If it saves, its a copy. If people want copies I'll start selling them for 1/2 their asking price. What I can't stand is places that attempt to cover them up as legit cards.

Put it in your computer with the write protector tab in the up position. Then try to save a simple notepad file to it. If it saves, its a copy. If people want copies I'll start selling them for 1/2 their asking price. What I can't stand is places that attempt to cover them up as legit cards.
Just curious...
How are these 'copies' different than a 'real' A8 SD card? Is the Ford A8 data the same but simply copied to another SD card and sold as the real thing? Do they have pirated content and illegal in some fashion? Why does Ebay (or Ford) allow all those Sellers to market them if they are not legit? There are so many Sellers of all the different years of Ford SD cards how does one verify if it is legit before purchasing, is the lower price a give-away to the authenticity?

BTW, I just tried your test as described and I cannot write to this A8 SD card. Is it a real one?

So exactly what is different on the A8 card?

Is it worth updating from A7 to A8?

So exactly what is different on the A8 card?

Is it worth updating from A7 to A8?

This Ford Nav website shows the Map Change update data.
http://ford.navigation.com/cms/page.updatefeatures/en_US/FordNA/USD

Here is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 7.49.54 AM.png

What is the down side of getting a copy? Does the copy not work properly?

if it works with all the updated maps, why should I care if it is real or a copy? Just wondering. I am still on the A4 so an upgrade for me is much needed.

What is the down side of getting a copy? Does the copy not work properly?

if it works with all the updated maps, why should I care if it is real or a copy? Just wondering. I am still on the A4 so an upgrade for me is much needed.

Knowing ford, if the fake breaks your system then they won't honor the warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back