• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic Oil - How good is it?

Burnout

Reaction score
City, State
North Quincy, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Reading through so much of this forum I've noticed a big emphasis put on using fully synthetic oil. Well it's at the point where I'm going to get the first oil change on my Explorer (or the first while I've owned it, it's an '04) and I want to get synthetic. Eventually I'd like to have all the fluids replaced with synthetic, like has been suggested, but I figure I'll start with the oil.

I've been reading up on how to do my own, but for this one I'm going to have my regular mechanic do it. My hood latch won't work (I'm guessing it's a stretched cable) and I'm hoping he'll fix it while he does the change.

I called him today to schedule an appointment, and asked him about synthetic. He said that synthetic oil would run me 6.90 a quart, semi-synthetic 4.00 a quart, and normal 2.90 a quart. He said that in his opinion synthetic oil is only needed if I plan on only having it changed every 4 to 5 thousand miles, and that he didn't think it was necessary.

I know this mechanic knows what he's talking about and isn't just talking out of his ass, but I know it's probably a personal opinion. So is synthetic oil worth the extra price? I've heard it's much better for the engine and that it can increase mileage. What would you guys say?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im also curios to know how good the royal purple is. i know the right filter is important too. only motorcraft, mobil one or the famous K&N. i hear fram can cause damage and honeywell wont pay damages.

this is like asking which is better, chevy or ford. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that if you are doing anything outside of the vehicle designed situations, then synthetic. Ie, four wheeling, racing, mucho traffic, and extended service intervals. For a non biased opinion, sit back and read some lab tests :)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Read the above site. Synthetic could last you 10,000 miles or more if your engine is in good shape, and backing it up with a used oil analysis. You can save lots of money running synthetic oil.

its really just personal preference and varies w/driving conditions, miles & age.. me, i have been running Motorcraft Syn-Blend for quite awhile. dont plan on changing anytime soon.

as far as "how good Syn oil is" the Bobistheoilguy site has some Great info.

you had said that you heard that it increases gas mileage. i have alway been sceptial about this because think about how much money ford (or any other automotive manufacturer) puts into boosting mpg numbers. if you could gain say 2 mpg from different oil i think that ford would do that from the factory. just my thoughts.

Synth is bad. No, it's good. Go with synth blend. No wait.....

You get the picture how this endless argument plays out over and over and over again on this site. Go with what works for YOU because you won't get unbiased opinions here. You know what they about opinions and a-holes....

FWIW, I use high Amsoil's best synth oil and swear by it as does my wife (who has zero interest in anything automotive). There are approximately 8,125,584 synth oil threads in the archives to review to come to your own conclusions. OK, not that many but is sure feels like it. ;)

Before you hop on the royal purple train, you should look at API ratings.
Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 is rated SM, while Royal Purple Synthetic 10w30 is rated SL
I personally dont believe its any better because of that, and i wont buy another Castrol product

He said that in his opinion synthetic oil is only needed if I plan on only having it changed every 4 to 5 thousand miles, and that he didn't think it was necessary.

Umm, even the cheapest conventional oil can go 5k miles between changes. The old 3 month/3k mile rule is very outdated and obsolete. Oils are way better now than they used to be. Even your owner's manual says to change every 6 months/ 5k miles. Synthetic can go even longer than that. The only way to know HOW long is to get a used oil analysis.

Umm, even the cheapest conventional oil can go 5k miles between changes. The old 3 month/3k mile rule is very outdated and obsolete. Oils are way better now than they used to be.

Not to mention ever since there has been unleaded fuel has also helped greatly.

If you look in your owners manual it may even say 7,000 miles, although I prefer to go 5,000 for conventional oil.

New & rebuilt engines

New and rebuilt engines will not break-in properly with synthetic oil because of the very low friction. After break-in full synthetic oil is superior for preventing sludge and reducing friction (higher performance and fuel economy). A quality oil filter is preferable when using synthetics to keep the oil clean for the extended use period. I buy the cheapest full synthetic I can find that meets the testing standards.

I have using the German Castrol 0W-30 for years in all my cars (except my diesel) and I have been very happy with that oil. I have the oil tested after each change and the tests have always come back glowing. In one case I went 12,000 miles (mostly highway) on one oil change and the TBN came back saying I still had plenty of life left in the oil. I read extensively on bobistheoilguy.com years ago and they were very high on the German Castrol 0W-30. Only down side is that is is hard to find since Autozone stopped carrying it in my area. I pay about 8 bucks a quart for it now.

Thanks guys. It wasn't that exact mile mark he said, he just said a long time and I suppose I was stuck with the "every 3 thousand miles" thinking for conventional. I went ahead and got full synthetic (my hood opens now! I don't know what he did, but it's great). After I picked it up I went and got a full tank of gas. My calculations show I got about 16mpg on the last tank, so I'll see if synthetic helps any.

Thanks for the comment about breaking in the engine. This has 55k on it, so I think it's thoroughly broken in now. In the future I'll probably do my own oil change, so I'm sure I'll be reading posts on here for a long while.

Most likely you won't see a mileage difference just switching the motor oil. Really to see the mileage difference you need to switch all of your fluids to full synthetic. Your motor oil, transmission, front and rear differentials.

Horsepower TV did there own test on Royal Purple. They dyno'd an engine first with regular oil, then RP. The RP added a few ponies.

I still use the regular stuff.

Most likely you won't see a mileage difference just switching the motor oil. Really to see the mileage difference you need to switch all of your fluids to full synthetic. Your motor oil, transmission, front and rear differentials.

Well then it looks like I have some work to do!

2000 5.0 mountaineer
140,000 miles
11 oil changes

I change my oil once a year regardless of miles, w/ amsoil 0w-30 and filter

some years have been 15-18k on oil

I too changed all the fluids to Amsoil and see 16mpg in stop & go traffic and about 20 on extended highway travel.(that's with my wife driving and she has to keep a foot on either pedal at all times, she can't figure out coasting to a red light!)

Does not leak or burn any oil, although I do add about a quart total thru out the year. Keep your pcv valve up to date.

I have better things to do than slide under my truck every 3k miles.

If I would change every 3k that would have been 46 oil changes

You do the math

I change my oil once a year regardless of miles, w/ amsoil 0w-30 and filter

Ditto. My next oil change is due on or about June 18th. I put the date in my Outlook calendar with a reminder of when to get it done. :thumbsup:

We just did the annual change on my wife`s Subie last month.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back