Cameron

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Streamwood, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Doug,

I have heard that if you switch to synthetic, you need to stay with synthetic. I understand it has something to do with gaskets swelling. See, gaskets react differently to conventional motor oil then they do to synthetic. I think this is why when people change to synthetic after thousands of miles on conventional oil, they get new oil leaks. It’s the gaskets shrinking due to the synthetic oil that causes the leaks. Now, that being said, I have a 97 Sport that has about 35,000 miles on it. About 6000 mile ago I changed to Mobil 1 and haven’t had any leaks yet!

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug, I have also heard that if you switch to a synthetic you should stay with a synthetic. I use Valvoline Durablend in my 99 Ltd. and I have been quite pleased with it. No leaks and smooth running.

------------------
1999 Limited
no mods yet...but considering

Hey Doug:
I have had synthetic royal purple in the truck since around the 1'000 mile mark,took out the original break in oil at 500,put in some valvoline for another 500,then R/P since,I now have 18'000,and I am switching over to Amsoil syn. 2000 0/30,and using the Amsoil filters as well.
longer drain intervals,justify the higher price,and from what I understand,it's a much better product. I have had a new eaton L/S
diffe, waiting for the amsoil gear lube that is also part of my order.
synthetics are superior!!! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,4X4
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

When I had my '92, I switched over (30,000mi) to synthetic, about 1,500mi one of the valve cover gaskets started leaking, lucky for the warranty. But anyways, Do you guys suggest if I wanted to run synthetic, should I switch over as soon as possible?? Since I just got my new 2000, so the gasket is still fresh. Everybody in the forum have any suggestions or other facts about synthetic oils???????

i'm considering changing from regular oil to synthetic. do i have to do anything special, or is it just like any old oil change?????
suggestions please.....

------------------
'98 XLT, 4X4 4dr, 4L SOHC

Doug,
Your truck is fairly new, but make sure that there are no oil leaks or drips anywhere on the motor. Synthetics tend to find any openings that regular oil couldn't. I use Mobil 1 in my 95 and have been very pleased with the change.
Rick

Smart move to change to synthetics. They are definitely superior.

If you have any oil leaks, you will probably see the amount of oil leaking to increase. The synthetics flow better and therefore leak better. There should be no problem switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional motor oil. There were some major problems with seal compatibility that Mobil 1 experienced when it was first introduced. This has been addressed by all the manufacturers but the misconception still exists because of the problems in the beginning.

The synthetics provide superior protection against sludge and deposit build up, heat, and viscosity breakdown. Hence, you should get longer service life. Not all synthetics are the same just as conventional motor oils all differ. If you want the best, check out AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants at Dead Link Removed.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

Hello Doug,

I switched to synthetics at 70,000. The only problem I ran into was the oil pressure sending unit plugged up with sludge after 1000 miles on the new oil. It appears that the synthetics have a much higher detergent level than the dino oils. At the 3000 mile oil change the dino oil was still fairly light. I currently have 1700 on the synthetic and it is really dark.

I do notice the truck runs a little cooler and sounds a bit quieter. I'm sure the sludge will work its way out over time.

Best regards.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

Hank,

You are right about synthetics having a higher detergent action to them. This will cause the build up in the engine to be carried away to the filter, causing the filter to fill up with crud and possibly plugging it. With a higher mileage vehicle, using an engine flush before installing the synthetic motor oil and a new filter is beneficial. There has been some debate over the use of engine flushes but I have not experienced any problems nor know of anyone who has.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

Hey AgExplorer,
I have switched to Amsoil on my Yamaha GP800, and now to my "new" 93 EB and love it!!! I was very worried about the engine flush, but crossed my fingers and poured it in. After the "flush" I let it drain for 2 hours, did I mention it worried me? Dead Link Removed
I'm using the Amsoil filter and 5W-30, and so far 3000 miles with no leaks. Not bad for a 4.0 with 106,000 at the change!! The engine in my 93 runs better now than the 98 Ranger 4.0 I had ran when it was new. I'm sold, nothin but the best for my toys!!
CJ

AgExplorer,

Which brand of motor flush did you use? In other vehicles I used to add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for a few hours before changing.

Thanks
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

What would be considered high mileage? I have 77,500+ on my '94. Should I run engine flush before I transition to syn. oil?

------------------
Rooster
94 sport (stock)
78 F-250 (2wd)

Okay, seems there are AMSoil users in here. The name is new to me, since I always bought Mobil-1 Well, i got a few questions that that product (Amsoil). I notice the oil doesn't have to be change 25 and up 35 thousand miles. Does this oil tend do get very dark in color near the peak of the life? I've been using Mobil-1, and been happy with that. I usually change my own oil; drain and and take off the filter. If I switch over to Amsoil, will the filter just be replaced withoil draining the pan? And what is better the 5w-30 or 0w-30??..I do live in hot-humid Florida! Everybody give me some 411! Any suggestions..and how many people actucally use Mobil-1 and Amsoil

I tried the Amsoil stuff on mine because I tried it in my Yamaha GP800 and loved it. Less plug fouling during long no wake zones, no smoke, less bog. So far so good in my 93 EB, but it only has 3000 since the change. I used their flush since I ordered the oil and other stuff at once. I like their air filter so far too, better mileage after the change. I have had K&N's in other vehicles and noticed no change in anything but my pocketbook. Not knocking, just what I've noticed so far. I used Mobil 1 in a 98 Ranger 4.0 with no problems. I don't know if it has to do with the Amsoil stuff in my Exploder, but it runs smoother and more quietly with 110,000 miles than my 98 Ranger did the day I drove it home new.
I also have no intention of leaving the oil in for 25,000 miles, I don't know when I'll change it to be honest. I keep an eye on it and when it gets dirty, I'll change it. I'll let everyone know if I have an oil related problem or anything. I am happy so far, 3000 miles on the oil and the level is well within an 1/8" on the dipstick where it was when I changed it. Not bad for 110,000 miles.
CJ

Xplor,

Good questions concerning AMSOIL. AMSOIL had the first API approved synthetic motor oil in 1972; 4 years before Mobil 1 was introduced. Hence, their slogan "The First in Synthetics". They do not compromise quality for cost in any of their products.

The oil will get dark towards the end of its life. It's just the byproducts of combustion taking its toll. AMSOIL guarantees their motor oil for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. If you use their oil filters, just change the filter at 12,500 or 6 months, whichever comes first.

The 0W-30 is AMSOIL's top of the line motor oil. It's a little more expensive but will provide better wear protection than Mobil 1. The 5W-30 and 10W-30 will also protect better than Mobil 1 and any other motor oil. The oil analyis GJarrett is doing will give an actual account of Mobil 1 as compared the AMSOIL I have been using.

Hank, I used AMSOIL's engine flush. It does a fantastic job and I have never experienced or heard of any detrimental effects. I know the Marvel Mystery Oil is known for doing some incredible things also.

You can find more information at Dead Link Removed. You can also e-mail me. If you decide to order, I may be able to save you some money.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

[This message has been edited by AgExplorer (edited 03-23-2000).]

Back