Synthetic with high milage?

fordexplorerdude97

Reaction score
City, State
Newtown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Hello

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic at 142000 Miles to see how it is, and than switched to Castrol GTX because of the cost, but my engine ran a lot smother when I was using the Mobil 1.

My engine now has 150000 Miles and I want to switch back to Mobil 1, but is it likely that it would cause leaks or any other problems since I switched oil brands too many times?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well regular oil is actually good till 5,000miles and synthetic is actually good to 10,000 -15,000miles the only thing you need to change every 3,000 miles is the filter so you can run synthetic 2-3x longer.

Uhh everything I've heard is 3k for dino oil, and you can run synth upwards of 25,000 miles if you change the oil and get quality stuff. Make sure it's not blend, it's FULL synth.

Be careful with this. In theory it can work. You need a dual bypass oil filter set up, amsoil oil, and other "technical knowledge" as well as oil analysis done periodically. I dont recommend telling newbies or otherwise, that synthetic lasts that long, as it is only true with extensive modifications, time investment, and $$$. what nocturnall said is true however.

well regular oil is actually good till 5,000miles and synthetic is actually good to 10,000 -15,000miles the only thing you need to change every 3,000 miles is the filter so you can run synthetic 2-3x longer.

I would never change just the filter, and not the oil. Not a good thing to do. If you are to do one, you should do both.

That is possible. I am not sure on that. His setup is quite complex compared to the average X. My above statement applies to stock components.

How many oil changes between brands?

Hello

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic at 142000 Miles to see how it is, and than switched to Castrol GTX because of the cost, but my engine ran a lot smother when I was using the Mobil 1.

My engine now has 150000 Miles and I want to switch back to Mobil 1, but is it likely that it would cause leaks or any other problems since I switched oil brands too many times?

If you only switched for 8k miles, then you should have had only two oil changes. If you only used Castrol during that 8k run, you should have no problem switching back - but because you have 150k miles, you run the risk of leakage regardless.

If you only switched for 8k miles, then you should have had only two oil changes. If you only used Castrol during that 8k run, you should have no problem switching back - but because you have 150k miles, you run the risk of leakage regardless.

If it didn't leak before, its very likely not to leak with the synthetic.

Synthetic oil causing a motor to leak is an old wives tale.

>>AMSOIL EaO Filters are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, when used in conjunction with AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil in gasoline and diesel vehicles in normal service, 15,000 miles in severe service.
<<

Dead Link Removed

What did I miss?

If it didn't leak before, its very likely not to leak with the synthetic.

Synthetic oil causing a motor to leak is an old wives tale.

I have used synth for years and I've never had a leak... and I did not suggest synth would cause a leak, I said plainly that the high mileage could become a source for leaks.

Yeah, I agree synthetic supposedly has the additives to help prevent leakage, my 92 has around I think 147k miles and I'm now running full 5w-30 synthetic Valvoline oil in it and runs great. So switching shouldn't be any kind of issue, I'd say you should just stick with it, I'm glad I switched to running pure synthetic in mine.

5k oil 5k filter - out together.

Please state the logic behind that statement.

I support this also, old oil out, old filter out. I change at 5k... filter goes...

FWIW

Mobile 1 synthetic is ok-
but as far as synthetics go it is at the bottom of the list.
I use it for 2 reasons-
It is cheap, and I change my oil too much.

I wouldn't use Mobile 1 for an extended use synthetic. I'd use Amsoil for extended use.

Just my .02

From what I've heard, they replace the oil on race cars after each race. If this is the case, the oil is only in the engine for a couple of miles at the most. I wouldn't see the point of using synthetic is a race car other than possibly making the engine work a little less hard. The oil would still be clean after driving it for a few minutes. Synthetic is recommended for long term use in an engine. My engine requires 2 quarts of oil every month, and a half, so it doesn't make a difference what I put into it. I replace the filter every year at around 4k miles.

Donner he was saying the other way around. If your changing the filter you should change the oil. The old myth about synth is that it cleans the crap out of the oil galley's which reveals cracks and torn areas in the seals so the engine will start to leak. The only person I have EVER read saying this actually happened had 400k+ miles on the motor. I don't run very long on mobil 1 either, going to order amsoil everything for my next oil change though, filter and oil and then doing the analysis test till it needs to be changed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob17, right?

We agree that oil and filter go out together...

Back