System Maintenance cause other electrical issues (no start, no lights....etc)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

System Maintenance cause other electrical issues (no start, no lights....etc)?

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
A wee bit long winded below and I did a search and didn't find this issue.
So, had first real glitch after 7 years and 100K+ miles on my 14 Sport.
My wife went to leave for work this morning and she came back and said it wouldn't start.
She took my other car so I could look at it.

I'll start with my question and follow with all the details below.
Could the Sync Scheduled System Maintenance cause the car to have odd electrical issues and prevent powering on or starting?

Sorry for the rambling below.
  • This has pushbutton start for reference.
  • I went out and keyless entry/lock works - handle, keypad and remote all worked
  • The mirror lights/parking lights did not flash when I'd lock/unlock.
  • When I opened the door, the usual 'dash wakeup' didn't happen.
    • Usually the 2 screens on either side of the speedo light up and I think the MFT screen lights up as well (just blank white light), but that didn't happen.
  • I hit the start button and nothing happened, regardless if brake was pressed.
  • I tried putting the remote in the center cubby slot, no change.
  • I could turn on the radio via the power button on the console (center of volume ring).
  • I noticed the backlights behind the climate control were lit up and didn't turn off, even after sitting for a few minutes.
    • I don't know if they were on the whole time or just after I turned the radio on and off.
  • None of the interior lights or headlights worked. I tried pushing the actual interior lights as well as the button below the headlight switch, nothing.
  • I tried the remote start, but nothing happened.

I took the battery out to put it on the charger since I didn't want to be running cords out to the street.
Hindsight I should have just disconnected the battery for a bit.
Resting voltage was about 12.5V and the battery is less than 2 years old. I thought it might be a little low since it was acting goofy.
Battery took a small charge (about 2Ah out of about 60Ah typical capacity)....not enough to prevent starting as far as I can tell.
Not saying the battery is for sure good, but doesn't seem like the issue based on all of the other oddities above.

While battery was charging, I checked fuses and didn't find any bad ones (ignition, interior lights...etc).

After reconnecting the battery, everything was back and the Sync screen showed about 1/2 way through Scheduled System Maintenance.

So, back to my question, could the scheduled maintenance cause this odd issue?
Could it have started the maintenance last night and just got hung up? Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery gave it a 'jump' to finish?

When you get the Scheduled Maintenance message it is basically just rebooting the Sync system and should not have any effect on what you described.
I would guess that it was a battery issue all along and nothing more. The Battery Saver program will turn OFF all lights, except parking lamps, after 10 minutes.

Peter

Well, I hope my battery isn't going bad already.....but I think it should still be under warranty from the auto parts store.

I suppose the system maintenance message was likely due to the battery being disconnected and just booting back up.

I should also say, I'm not 100% sure the headlights didn't come on when I tried them. It was light out and "smart" me didn't think to actually get out and look at them. I just didn't hear any relay click or ding when I turned them to the on position. 99% of the time, the switch stays in Auto and that's where it was when I check it this morning.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Back