• Register Today It's free!

t case prob please help!

hardazz04

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
It snowed here in texas and i found out one thing my t case is not working!!!
my truck is a 97 explorer sport with the control trac 4wd

heres whats wrong-- when i turn my 4wd switch into 4 hi or 4 lo nothing happens... no lights come on no engaging noise, nothing....to my knowledge if something was wrong with my t case my 4wd lights would flash, but they dont even come on, not even a flash.

MY IDEAS:
big tires throwing something off
my shift motor
shorted circuit somewhere

if any one has any idea it would greatly be appreciated..

eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did the exact thing, I took off the shift motor, took the cover off it and greeced all moving parts and put it back togather and it worked just fine. but thats all I know to do. hope it works!

: Nothing to do with this subject:

But jsut to let you know Hardazz, i wanst mad at you in the Chat, i was mad at some one else on a totally different subject, Just thought i would clear that up....

Hope you get this thing Fixed:D

gotta be shift motor...tires should have nothing to do with is since there are people running around with 35s with no real problems.

RHbluex-Thanxs i will check the shift motor!! do you know of any write ups on removing the shift motor and cleaning it? when yours did the same thing did any of your 4wd drive lights work in your instrument cluster?

x kid- no problem i was confused just tryin to ask a ? and got mixed up

ga southern- yep traded the mickeys in and got goodyear 35's

Removing the motor is straight forward. I can't remember exactly right now, but I believe it is only three 10mm head bolts.

Opening it is a little bit of a batard. It is held together with security screws. You will need to go pick up a special nut driver, or break out those little prongs inside with a small screwdriver and hammer, then just a torx head driver.

Once inside it, just clean out the gunk, clean the contacts, and lube it.

alright simple enough thanks!!

does the shift motor control the 4wd lights in the instruement cluster?

Yes

The electrical contacts inside the shift motor control the 4x4 lights.

alright your a Gee.. i ve been searching alnight and you just gave me the most and best info

oh yea and a ?-- how do you have the front end raised on your 2nd gen? i need 6 inches up front to go with a soa in the back so my 35's have enough room to play

The control trac t-case (BW4404) only uses the shifter motor to engage 4LO. An electromagnetic clutch is what engages 4HI. With the ignition in the on position and without the vehicle started, get someone inside the truck to work the 4X4 switch. You go underneath the truck and find the brown wire on the t-case (close to where the rear drive shaft uotput shaft is). There should be 12V present when the 4X4 switch is in 4HI and no voltage present when the switch is in 2WD

Your right the 4404 is the AWD and the 4405 is the Control Trac. Sorry, my mistake

I engage 4-auto and 4-low every 4-8 weeks just to keep everything oiled and "alive" in my 96 control-trac.

so i should use a wire tester to see if any power is even sent to the shift motor from the switch? and if no power is being sent then it is my switch, right?

You should test to see if there is power going to the electromagnetic clutch when the switch is in 4X4. It is the brown wire in the wire harness going to the t-case

Originally posted by dan leon
I engage 4-auto and 4-low every 4-8 weeks just to keep everything oiled and "alive" in my 96 control-trac.

That isn't really necessary because the t-case has an oil pump in it that pumps oil to the top of the t-case to lube all the gears when ever the output shaft rotates so even if you were getting towed, as long as the output shaft is turning, the oil is being pumped.

dirty dog

i should test the brown wire and if there is no power when switch is turned to 4x4 then it is my switch?

I like to spin the front diff, drive shaft, and axles too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by hardazz04
dirty dog

i should test the brown wire and if there is no power when switch is turned to 4x4 then it is my switch?

Yes, and if you need a switch, I probably got one

Back