• Register Today It's free!

T-Case problem

markcentral66

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
I have a 2001 explorer sport with a vibration on the floor and a hum at high speeds. How do you know your t-case is going?

That sounds like what i had with my 97, and eventually it was my t-case that went out on me. Left me stranded, then paid $1600, (Canadian) to have the input shaft, chain, range fork and range selector (? not sure) to be replaced. Take it to a shop and have it checked out is my advice. Maybe cost less this way than the way i dealt with it.

the 95-2000, may-be more models, have a problem with the main shaft bearing and shift fork rod. I was going to rebuild mine last week, The part cost was around 350.00 shop cost but the clutch pack was on national backorder. This would not rectify the problem only to have it happen again. I was number 109 in my town for this part. We did some home work and found in our list this company www.worldwidetransmissions.com 600.00 for the unit built with all the up to date modifications ready to install and 100.00 shipping. It arrived at the shop 3 days later like promissed and installed with our synthetic fluid the truck ran better that ever. I am really impressed with this company and its product. I put 150 miles on since the install and no problems. Best of luck with your explorer.

I happened to find this athread looking for a problem on my 98 Sport. After talking to a couple of dealers they said it sounded like the clutch was bad. Under throttle it sounds like it is trying to engage the 4x4 with very little luck. once it is at speed or if you go real gentle on the gas it is OK but getting worse. I finally took out the front shaft tonight and the noise went away. I know, taking the shaft out isn't a great idea, but I need the car until I can figure out what to do for sure. Ideas?

The clutch pack was quoted to me at $350 but, if you all have had luck with the company selling the t-case for $600, that may be the way to go.

Input guys?

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Back