Table saw recommendations?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Table saw recommendations??

I need a good portable table saw. A lot of the ones I see have bad reviews for the fences, with people complaining they can't cut consistently straight.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I don't want junk either.

Any recommendations??

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
If you can touch em before you buy, take a quare with you, release, adjust, and lock the fence repeatedly and check for square. Some saw will take a better fence, like a shop fox fence. If you can afford a shop fox saw, that would be the first choice. Their fences are snazzy!

I like this store myself.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/530020|530002|530000

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Here's an old thread dealing with fence alignment..:D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313189&highlight=table

..But how much are you wanting to spend and what type and how much use will it get? How portable do you want the saw?

..For some comparison reading you might like this for general info but take it with a grain of salt..
http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...we-test-11-to-find-the-best-skil-3310#slide-1

..I have a few different portables I use for different things..

..I wore one of these out (with no stand or dustbag) using it everyday for a couple years and it was fantastic as in lightweight and plenty of torque for cutting maple and oak..Used for complete kitchen installs. (I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner)
http://www.shopping.com/Skil-Skil-3...eed-Side-Extension-Dust-Bag-15-Amps/info?sb=1

I will be buying another one and I believe this model number is correct 3400 and I paid $100 new threw the dealer (Bosch and Skil are owned by the same)

$T2eC16RHJHEE9ny2q8uuBQ-o,ZYvp!~~_32-450x450-0-0.JPG

..For bigger jobs as in onsite custom cabinetry, this is my go to portable..Bosch 4000-07 jobsite table saw and I have the optioned side and rear feed slide outs which make this table saw as close to a full shop saw that is portable. This easily handles ripping full sheets of plywood also..;)

51W2GTAT4WL.jpg

..The current model I believe is the 4100-9 with gravity stand. Here is a link to a review with a video on the gravity stand too..(this is model 4000-9)
www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bshts4000rvu.html

There's Makita but they are not getting to good a review in the field since they sent their stuff to China to be built..:rolleyes:

..Two other common industry standards are Rigid and Dewalt..

..Rigid is now a name to steer clear of as in no company support and any major repair shop of brand name tools will not deal with them anymore..(I recently replaced all my lifetime warrantied drills I had with them to other brands and am down to my 10" chopsaw as my only rigid tool left, because of the warranty repair issues) Home depot slowed what they sell of Rigid and didn't support the tools they sold..:thumbdwn:

..Dewalt..I've had several competitors who had to have the top name tools and I've watched them often lapse into down time with fence and other problems as there are a few common plastic wear parts on their table saws that often need replacing...

..Sawblades are also a key when using table saws...The blades I purchase are commonly in the range of $50-$80 each and not only do they last a long time, they cut well putting less strain on the motors for longer life of the tool itself. I see a lot of people buying the cheaper blades then watch them burning thru material and you can hear the bearings ring..(It's kinda like watching someone weld 1/4" steel while being setup to weld 1/8"..:( )

..But I will let you in on a common saw they can't keep on the shelves right now..:shifty_ey...It's cheap and has some options if you don't need it to often..I haven't used it but see them being sold out often..

Ryobi 10 in. Portable Table Saw with Stand Model # RTS21 (I think this is the correct model) with reviews
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10...-Stand-RTS21/202517810?N=1aw#customer_reviews

41oSFBWZilL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
This isn't a table saw technically, but it serves the same purpose: http://www.lowes.com/pd_346407-5460...well&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=rockwell&facetInfo=
845534080810.jpg

The BladeRunner is basically an inverted jigsaw with a variable speed control, and a blade guide. It's designed for small jobs, so don't expect it to rip through a 3/4" piece of plywood. It's very light weight, and has a lot of blade choices. Use a wide blade if you want to make straight cuts, and a narrow blade if you want to cut curves. A grit blade is good for cutting tiles or cement board. You can't do this with an ordinary table saw.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger

GRNMACHINE

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
There was a decent article in Family Handyman reviewing portable saws. They too liked the Rigid. Portable Table Saw has been on my want list for few years now. Have used many different miter saws, prefer DeWalt. From what I remember the DeWalt table saw model tested was decent but didnt outperform the others and cost a whole lot more. Will see if I can scrounge up the article. Not sure you can get any better real hands on experience/recommendation than from an actual carpenter like Corkey though. After reading the review I wanted to get the Rigid he posted above.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Cant say much but if you're buying used definitely check the square. We got 2 of the exact same saws at work, 1 cuts great and the other is about useless. It's been worked to hard I guess :D

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
No not yet. Other things have come up and that's not on the top of the list right now. Tbars and I almost went out to buy one last weekend, but I remembered that I had two big trips coming up within the month and "spare" cash isn't available right now.

Jessi009

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
I need a good portable table saw. A lot of the ones I see have bad reviews for the fences, with people complaining they can't cut consistently straight.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I don't want junk either.

Any recommendations??

Well I have seen some great saws here and I hope “table saw reviews “ has given you all the information that you need to make your table saw choice.

GRNMACHINE

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
Rick this thread is quite old, not sure you are still wanting a saw but I ended up purchasing a DEWALT DW745 a few years back. No complaints so far. Its lightweight and portable. Have seen quite a few flooring contractors use this model. I am not a carpenter but have been working with a few and after they used my saw they want one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-10-in-Compact-Job-Site-Table-Saw-DW745/100497987

Also with a Home Depot card you can get 6 month free financing (sometimes 12 months)

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Don't know if you ever bought one, but between my dad and I we have 2 Dewalts, 1 Bosch. and a Delta Unisaw for the shop. The dewalts are the best, the bosch is nice but not as easy to get perfect as the dewalts. I have used just about every one that's out there. I can say the Dewalt is the best one that I have used.

However we use ours daily and that can be costly if you don't need one everyday.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I did buy a table saw. I haven't used it much lately and I don't recall which brand it is LOL!

I'll have to go to the back garage, take a look and report back. I have been happy with it though My only complaint is that it can't be wheeled when it's setup. It has to be broken down for the wheels to work.

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
LOL well that works. I have not been around here in a long time and just was going through everything there is to read.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Finally took a look. It's a Ryobi table saw.