• Register Today It's free!

Tablet For SCT Tuner??

fangelillo01

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
Hey guys, So I recently purchased my SCT for my sport. Unfortunately I have all Apple products so I had to use a co-workers laptop for the whole process. My question is, can I buy a cheap windows tablet to use for the SCT or do I have to use a windows laptop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, anything with windows that meets the minimun software version (win 7,8, etc..)

yes, anything with windows that meets the minimun software version (win 7,8, etc..)

Not necessarily true but very close. Some "windows tablets" run a version of windows called Windows RT (iirc). Windows RT is different than the normal windows, and does not work with the SCT updater software, or other software for that matter. I believe it was built on the ARM arhictecture to run specifically on tablets. Some tablets however have a full "normal version" and will work fine.

Make sure you get a standard Windows operating system like 7 or 8, and make sure it has a USB port.

On the apple, you could use it. You would have to install a dual boot program to run windows like Boot Camp, or a few others that slip my memory at the moment. We have a few MAC's here that are set up like that with windows working.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to decide if it's more cost effective to buy windows for my Macbook versus spend the $300 or so for a cheap computer.

Hey guys, So I recently purchased my SCT for my sport. Unfortunately I have all Apple products so I had to use a co-workers laptop for the whole process. My question is, can I buy a cheap windows tablet to use for the SCT or do I have to use a windows laptop?

Im the same as you so I bought a cheap HP laptop at Costco for $300...works fine with the SCT X4 and their supporting software.

Just install VMware or virtual box on your Mac.

Just install VMware or virtual box on your Mac.

Agreed (Parallels user), but unfortunately you still have to buy a licensed copy of Windows. Often the cost of the VM and Windows license is same or more than a cheap laptop on-sale (Dell - $199).

Back