• Register Today It's free!

Tachometer Problem

jkexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have a tachometer problem on a 2000 Explorer XLT, V6 SOHC. It works intermittently. Sometimes the needle sits at zero, and then all of a sudden it jumps and reads the RPM for a few minutes, before going back to zero. I don’t think it’s a sensor problem because I have a Scan Gauge permanently attached to the OBD port, and the Scan Gauge continuously displays engine RPM. I would like to take the tachometer gauge out and check the gauge connections and circuit board traces, but am having a hard time finding instructions for removing the instrument cluster. Does any one have a procedure for removing the instrument cluster? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem with link

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is a problem with the link you gave me. I get a message that says "Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found".

I have a tachometer problem on a 2000 Explorer XLT, V6 SOHC. It works intermittently. Sometimes the needle sits at zero, and then all of a sudden it jumps and reads the RPM for a few minutes, before going back to zero. I don’t think it’s a sensor problem because I have a Scan Gauge permanently attached to the OBD port, and the Scan Gauge continuously displays engine RPM. I would like to take the tachometer gauge out and check the gauge connections and circuit board traces, but am having a hard time finding instructions for removing the instrument cluster. Does any one have a procedure for removing the instrument cluster? Thanks for any information you can give me.

I'm having the same problem on my 95 except sometimes it will read lower rpms than actual too.
I have my cluster out for other problems (lamps) be carfull when your pulling on the bezel to release the push in connectors, I broke one off & had to epoxy it back on. Other than that it's not to bad removing.

Please let me know if you find the problem & I will do the same.
I have read many other posts of this problem but never a solution.

2000LXS - Thanks for the link. This one works. It looks like it's more work then I expected, so it'll probably be a few weeks before I do anything. Just finished installing new intake manifold gaskets to alleviate cold idling problem. That was a success, but I need a break.

markcoronado, I've read that it could either be a bad solder connection, or a broken circuit board trace. So this is what I will be inspecting very carefully when I take the instrument cluster out. Will post results.

I fixed mine today the copper were the plugs go on the back of the gauges was all black right were the tach plugs in you follow the trace to the plug. I had to scrape it off cleaner and a qtip would not get it off.

This looks like something that someone inexperienced can handle. My tach is intermittent, also. Does anyone know if there is a labeled diagram anywhere (or photo) that I can reference so I can look and see if I see black, also, and do the cleaning bit? Thanks much!

Mine has the same problem. I'm going to try cleaning it over the weekend. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks. Uhhh, when you do this....could you perhaps snap a quick pic of what you are cleaning? That would help me know where to look...?

I'm going to do it Sunday. I'll try to get a pic.

Cool! Thanks much!

I was going to post something quite similar, my tach works it just reads low by 2000 RPM or so (shifts at 3500 RPM indicated at WOT) is there a good place to check resistance and a spec for what it should be?

Back