• Register Today It's free!

Tackling the a4ld VB soon

SammyM00782

Reaction score
City, State
Ewing, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Good morning fellas, crisp NJ morning it is today :) So first let me reiterate my vehicle "Timmy" to everyone. It's a 94 Explorer XLT, 4wd, 136k neglected miles but still in really good shape for where I live. I'm going to service the valve body because there's some delay when shifting from reverse/park to drive and the D to R slam/bang I've seen a lot of. Other than I feel it's kind of a lazy transmission everything else seems alright. I read a few tutorials on this but there's so much going on with the thread I'm not sure if I forgot something AND they're many years old at this point. Here's what I got on the way so far. Most of these parts are obviously SONNAX and all were purchased from TransmissionparsUSA.com

End plug kit 56947-14K
upper and lower VB gasket 23135/6
Pan gasket 23141D
Trans filter 23924 w/ 23270 O rings
TCC screen 23330A
Large boost valve kit 56947-02K
Manual valve index sleeve 56947-01

Good thing I did this because I just realized I forgot the shift kit lol, damn it.
Anyway before that I figured I'm missing something, seems fit for my luck. Other than the shift kit what else is worth replacing while I'm in there? I grew up with this truck my whole life and I know it never towed anything other than 2 late 80's jet-ski's at most 51 miles to my grandpa's house and we actually carried them from the trailer to the water so they ain't THAT heavy :) MOST likely the fluid was never ever changed....in anything for that matter other than oil and coolant. I flushed every ounce of brake fluid out weeks ago but I still have a spongy pedal while running, don't get that one at all. :wtf: Any advice is appreciated fellas, I don't wanna F this up but transmissions ain't my thunder either.

Back