• Register Today It's free!

Tail Lamps

GreenEyez

Reaction score
City, State
East Rockaway, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hey guys. So since I bought my 3rd gen I've loved the truck but thought the tail lamps were the most boring look ever. I've looked around but it seems those 4th gen units are about 80 a piece not even a pair. I found http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-0...=Make:Ford|Model:Explorer&hash=item4aa33dbbb1 my only worry is that they will look a little to ricer. Has anyone had these installed on there truck? Or does anyone know a cheaper way to buy 4th gen tail lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing.......

These are the same lights I am running they look great with my black X. Love them and been 2 years in the sun and snow no damage or fading.

Personally...I'm not a big fan of aftermarket tail lights, but they do look good. I'm going to try for some 4th gens.
These are the one's I may eventually go for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Basically these are the cheapes I could find... $50.00 each for $100.00 a pair. They are a bid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Give a call to your local junkyards first.

Yeah I would stay away from all the chrome euro-type lights. Looks way too ricey, in my opinion. If you're gonna go aftermarket, I think the only acceptable kind are like the ones icecube linked to in his first link. They should be black, preferably LED.

But that's just me. Everyone's opinion is different. It's your X, so do what you like.

I might just keep my eye out for those merc lamps then too. Since 4th gen x lights work on 3rd gens does that mean that 2006-2010 merc lights will work too?

The mercury mountaineer for 06-10 was not too much modified on the exterior. So I'd say yes.

gives me more options then because 3rd gen lamps I think are just probably the most boring aspect of the truck.

Agreed ford made a good looking truck, but boring lights. I'm going to have to buy the clear corner lights because those stock corner lights ruin the front looks.

Well it wasn't family oriented :) I acutally traded it in on another ricer, then dumped that (it was cursed) for my X. I like the 2nd set of lights, but the first ones look too much like stock lights imo.

Well it wasn't family oriented :) I acutally traded it in on another ricer, then dumped that (it was cursed) for my X. I like the 2nd set of lights, but the first ones look too much like stock lights imo.

I'm a fan of the stock LED mercury mountaineer tail lights (06-10). So thats why I'm going with those over any other tail light. My opinion the mercury LED style lights look the best, but thats just my 2 cents.

The 2nd ones Icecube posted are sweet. I love the clear lights in the wifes 08 I replaced the yellow signals with LEDs and it makes the whole lights be clear. Those yellow bulbs made a ugly yellow refection back in there and made them look bad I thought. They look great now though.

STU

Yeah, I like those too, but I like the price of the link I posted granted it's only 40 bucks, but in this economy every dollar counts. Thinking of doing clear corners on mine as well. How difficult is changing them to LED?

The 2nd ones Icecube posted are sweet. I love the clear lights in the wifes 08 I replaced the yellow signals with LEDs and it makes the whole lights be clear. Those yellow bulbs made a ugly yellow refection back in there and made them look bad I thought. They look great now though.

STU

Personally, me, I like both of the tail lights posted(why else would I post those), but I'm probably going for the first ones. I just plan on just putting clear corners on the fronts. So I want the backs to match the fronts.
But I do like the way the second ones look too. Maybe I'll go for black headlights so I can get those tail lights.

Yeah, I like those too, but I like the price of the link I posted granted it's only 40 bucks, but in this economy every dollar counts. Thinking of doing clear corners on mine as well. How difficult is changing them to LED?

Not sure on that. Can't be too hard. Or else they wouldn't sell em. But true, every dollar counts in this economy. I'm waiting on those tail lights until I get some extra money to spend. As long as the stock tail-lights on my X work...thats where they will stay...for a while.
Nothing says you cant swap them out later-on
I will admint, for as nice as those LED ones are they are expensive!
I think these are similar to what you're thinking of buying. This picure was posted in the 3rd gen pic's threads, by zerodevil
IMG_0173.jpg

Damn, I wish they made LED tails for the '95-'97 Explorers. :mad:

Damn, I wish they made LED tails for the '95-'97 Explorers. :mad:

True on that. Never thought to look for LED tail lights for those second generation explorers. And since I looked there are none. :thumbdwn: Some company needs to make some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure on that. Can't be too hard. Or else they wouldn't sell em. But true, every dollar counts in this economy. I'm waiting on those tail lights until I get some extra money to spend. As long as the stock tail-lights on my X work...thats where they will stay...for a while.
Nothing says you cant swap them out later-on
I will admint, for as nice as those LED ones are they are expensive!
I think these are similar to what you're thinking of buying. This picure was posted in the 3rd gen pic's threads, by zerodevil

Those look pretty nice Its good to know I have more options than I thought.

Back