Tail Light swap 3rd to 4th generation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tail Light swap 3rd to 4th generation

4th generation tail lights are priced much more than 3rd generation lights. That's the only thing that prevents me from doing this!

Keep an eye on Ebay for some used and new.
I got mine at a discount from a local Ford dealer.

Good luck!
It's definitely a noticeable mod!

:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the write up

Here's my swap...
10632879_10154670631680217_7435672062271033475_n.jpg

Mountaineer tails do not fit. They are smaller in height so you would have to switch to the mountaineer rear bumper.

so i can't put 4th gen explorer tail lights on my 2002 mountaineer? if not do i have any options? i hate the grilles on the stock tail lights

so i can't put 4th gen explorer tail lights on my 2002 mountaineer? if not do i have any options? i hate the grilles on the stock tail lights

Only way to put Explorer tails on the Mountaineer is swap the rear bumper to the Explorer rear bumper. Only options may be to see if there are any aftermarket Mounty tails or color match the grilles so everything flows together.

Thanks for the advice im new to the scene been driving a lifted jeep grand cherokee for the past 4 years thanks for the information!

Thanks for the advice im new to the scene been driving a lifted jeep grand cherokee for the past 4 years thanks for the information!
Might snoop around the Modified 3rd Gen Forum and see what you can't find. Lots of how-to's and such in there.

Thanks I spent a few hours reading post after post learning as much as I can

Are the image links dead? I wanted to see this.

I've purchased the 4th gen tail lights from eBay, but now I need to locate wiring pigtails to do the swap/rewire. Anyone know where I can order these? For whatever reason I can't find a junk yard anywhere in the state that has 4th gen Explorers on the lot.

About two months ago, I PayPaled some guy near Chicago for Spyder brand LED taillights. They came out to $63ish with shipping, and I love the blacked-out look. I would post pictures but I'm not sure how to yet.... Nevertheless, buying them was probably the best investment I've made for the old '02, and I don't have to deal with the factory one slowly filling up with water:pics:

Mountaineer tails do not fit. They are smaller in height so you would have to switch to the mountaineer rear bumper.
I know this post is old, but the Explorer lights are actually shorter than the Mountaineer. I installed 3rd Gen on my mountaineer and the wiring was simple and they mounted with the same two screws. Had about a half inch gap on bottom, but looked good to me.

I wish all those pics loaded up from the 1st posting. I'm going to attempt this when the weather gets nice. I have a 02 XLT.

I've got two tail lights from 06 one with pigtails one without and the grommets if anyone is looking for them. Best reasonabe offer.

20180524_104055.jpg

20180524_104125.jpg

20180524_104101.jpg

I've got two tail lights from 06 one with pigtails one without and the grommets if anyone is looking for them. Best reasonabe offer.
Sending PM

About two months ago, I PayPaled some guy near Chicago for Spyder brand LED taillights. They came out to $63ish with shipping, and I love the blacked-out look. I would post pictures but I'm not sure how to yet.... Nevertheless, buying them was probably the best investment I've made for the old '02, and I don't have to deal with the factory one slowly filling up with water:pics:
I know this is old, but we're they 3rd gen or 4th? Can you find me a up to date link?

Back