Tailgate LED Light Strip Installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate LED Light Strip Installed

Hey Guys,

Thought I would share this! I just got a tailgate LED light strip for my X. I have the taillights all blacked out and was stopped once by a cop so I just wanted to make sure I was seen at all times... plus I think it looks pretty cool! I got it off eBay for about $34. Pretty simple install... running lights, brake lights and turn signals all run off a 4 pin connector that you just plug in to your wire harness (I had to buy one of these because I didn't originally have the tow package on mine) and then I had to splice the reverse light wire from the led strip into the actual reverse lights in the taillights. let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwe5KpW2zBI&feature=youtu.be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good.
Not sure about legality here though, cause I've seen a few trucks with them a while ago, and haven't seen any in a good year..

Looks good

What brand did you get? I was looking at these last night as a quick fix to my 3rd light burnout. Was it a direct fit or did you have to modify the length at all.

Thanks!

What brand did you get? I was looking at these last night as a quick fix to my 3rd light burnout. Was it a direct fit or did you have to modify the length at all.

Thanks!

This is the one I got! straight off of eBay, and pretty cheap! I got the 60" didn't have to cut it at all. I put it just below where the tailgate closes so it is actually sitting on the plastic part just under it and not on metal anywhere but it fit perfectly and can be seen under the tailgate. It just has 3M tape... they supply a couple plastic sleeves you can put over it as well but I didn't and haven't had any issues. My girlfriend was driving behind and said it is super bright... I find myself trying to look into store windows when I back up to see the reverse lights come on ha.

This is the one I got! straight off of eBay, and pretty cheap! I got the 60" didn't have to cut it at all. I put it just below where the tailgate closes so it is actually sitting on the plastic part just under it and not on metal anywhere but it fit perfectly and can be seen under the tailgate. It just has 3M tape... they supply a couple plastic sleeves you can put over it as well but I didn't and haven't had any issues. My girlfriend was driving behind and said it is super bright... I find myself trying to look into store windows when I back up to see the reverse lights come on ha.

I think you forgot a link. :D

ANNNNNDDDDD I found my next project, I cant see anything with my 5% tint when backing up.

>Opens Page
>$35! SWEET
>Sees: Does not ship to Canada
:mad:

Haha I would keep searching on there... There were a bunch of different listings, I'm sure someone would she to Canada!

ANNNNNDDDDD I found my next project, I cant see anything with my 5% tint when backing up.

It's a super easy install... Only thing that took a little time was splicing in the reverse light wire. But that was less than 10 minutes too

I got mine from Carid.com shipped to Canada no problem

7BF0ABE0-DDCE-4B2E-9C91-F352E0309314_zpsioifaedf.jpg

I got mine from Carid.com shipped to Canada no problem

7BF0ABE0-DDCE-4B2E-9C91-F352E0309314_zpsioifaedf.jpg

Dude, where the hell do you get your aftermarket stuff in Ontario? The light covers, etc?

It's amazing what u can get through Napa or Partsource u just need a determined person searching for the stuff, i usually google brand and part numbers then see one of two Partsource employees who know me and I get my parts if they can't then I order online

My light guards and brush guard are both Westen thru Partsource my headlights and tails came from Carid same as the Bully led step and rear light bar. The led spots and floods were from Ebay

It's amazing what u can get through Napa or Partsource u just need a determined person searching for the stuff, i usually google brand and part numbers then see one of two Partsource employees who know me and I get my parts if they can't then I order online

My light guards and brush guard are both Westen thru Partsource my headlights and tails came from Carid same as the Bully led step and rear light bar. The led spots and floods were from Ebay

Whoa, hold on a sec. Your brush guard is through Part Source? I work at Part Source, lmfao, I can't source a brush guard for it at all. Tried all our providers. Can you find out where your store got them from?

Looks good, I wonder if you could install it without being on all the time in low?
Even at night when the tails are on, I don't want the led's on because it's acting as a third brake light it is NOT legal to be on. Only light up when the brakes are touched.

Price is good as well.

It came thru keystone via Napa ordered at Partsource

It came thru keystone via Napa ordered at Partsource

Keystone doesn't have them. I've checked multiple times. Unless it's hidden somewhere..

Edit: Keystone's selection for a 99 vs a 97 is ridiculous.. so much more for 99. I don't have taillight covers, grill guards.. nothing..

My tail light guards are for a 98 to 2000 explorer I modified them for the 03 , I just found the part number online and took it to Partsource they found and ordered them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My tail light guards are for a 98 to 2000 explorer I modified them for the 03 , I just found the part number online and took it to Partsource they found and ordered them

How much did they charge you? I'm looking at about $200 for the set. That's wayyy to much.

Back