• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate Replacement

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
IMG_5561.jpeg

Hey guys,

My Ford Explorer was hit in a parking lot last night, no cameras and no note. I called the insurance and they won't help either, having them repair isn't worth my rates going up. I just bought this car a month ago and I do not want to have to drive around like that, especially since it isn't my fault. If I was to buy a new hatch from eBay or a junkyard, how big of hassle would it be to swap them out? I'm assuming I'd have to find one with power capabilities, unless I wanted to rewire the motors to the switch and figure out how to swap them over.

I'm mainly an audio guy, but I've got some buddies, some drinks and some tools, just wanted to get an idea of what I was in for. Besides, what's the worst that happens, I screw up my tailgate and have to take it to a body shop anyways?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

My Ford Explorer was hit in a parking lot last night, no cameras and no note. I called the insurance and they won't help either, having them repair isn't worth my rates going up. I just bought this car a month ago and I do not want to have to drive around like that, especially since it isn't my fault. If I was to buy a new hatch from eBay or a junkyard, how big of hassle would it be to swap them out? I'm assuming I'd have to find one with power capabilities, unless I wanted to rewire the motors to the switch and figure out how to swap them over.

I'm mainly an audio guy, but I've got some buddies, some drinks and some tools, just wanted to get an idea of what I was in for. Besides, what's the worst that happens, I screw up my tailgate and have to take it to a body shop anyways?

Thanks!

The worst that happens is you spend ~1k for a new hatch/lid however fixing what you have looks like 500$ :) (I am not a body shop guy, so it's only my assumption)

I think it is worth getting a repair estimate first. Then you can compare that with the cost of buying a used liftgate. I'm guessing that you should be able to just swap over anything you require, motor, struts etc from the old to the 'new'. Wiring might be the biggest challenge apart from trying to find one the same colour.

Peter

That sucks, I feel your pain 😞

Back