• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate Swap

BogFather

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport, 91 Samurai
Ok so here is my question guys and gals. I just got a 97 Sport and wanna change the rear tailgate and glass which it has the BOX tailgate, now i have 2 rear hatchs off my other 2 4 doors which are a 99 and 2000 and was wondering if anyone has done this swap or if it will be possible before i take everything apart and find out it wont fit??:salute::salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap

I wish I couls answer you question but I have never tried. I am interested to see what you find out though. If it works post some pics.... The newer rear hatches(98-01) look better IMHO. :thumbsup:

Yeah i already seen that he did it on his 4 door i just wanted to know if it's possible to take a 4 door hatch and swap it to a 2 door sport? as for the glass both my hatchs have the glass in them. Already put the tail lights on and wanna get rid of the gap they stick out a bit.

The tailgates on 2 doors and 4 doors are the same so it will bolt right on. Just inspect the hardware before you install the new one.

Yeah, it's a go! The only issue you will have is running the power to the licence plate lights, unless you're going to keep the lights on the bumper... Other than that I can't see any issue at all... you might have to do some swapping on the connector pins under the roof lining incase some of the wiring harness is different, but hardware wise, everything will just bolt in place.... but make sure you've got some strong, tall friends with you... my assistant was short, and couldn't reach the door when it was open, so I tried it on my own and bent the door!

Good luck!

Si

Hey all. I just tried this with my '96 Gen2. Had a tailgate off a 98 sport. Can't seem to get it to fit right. Sticks out too far at the top.

Any suggestion?

Hey all. I just tried this with my '96 Gen2. Had a tailgate off a 98 sport. Can't seem to get it to fit right. Sticks out too far at the top.

Any suggestion?
Do you have the hinges properly aligned? Did the mounting points for the hinges on the tailgate get bent/tweaked when you were adjusting the tailgate?

When I pulled the tailgate, I unbolted the the gate from the hinge, leaving the hinges on the body. When closed, It looks like the hinge sits too far out and does not close as far on the passenger side as it closes on the driver side.

I can't see where anything looks bent but I can't be certain.

The hinges do adjust in/ out and side to side. I just put a '98
hatch on my '97 (so the wife can open it) and it fit terrible
at first. A little patience and fiddling and all is well now.
You can adjust the hinge at the hatch and also under the
rear of the headliner. Also as a heads up, all the wires except
license lights are there and the colors match, they just have
be pinned to the correct locations at least from '97 to '98

Back