• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate Vibrations

CommanderRico

Reaction score
City, State
Coldwater, MI or Marquette, MI depending on if school is in
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
Ok....I have a pair of 1400 watt fifteens in a custom box in the back of my '93 Sport. They face backwards to get the best sound from them. (I've experimented and this is the way they sound best). My problem lies in the tailgate. I can't get it to stop rattleing. Should I use Dynamat or something of that nature? If so, how do I take off the tailgate panel to install the stuff? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Commander Rico

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, use a product like dynamat, but there is stuff tons cheaper that does the same thing. My recommendation is raamatt. search for it on this site for the email address of the guy who sells it.

I think...

I believe it's raam@raamaudio.com

His name is Rick, great guy to deal with, and nice product for good price.

--Matt
'97 Sport

I had the same problem with the tail gate, but I decided to go the ultra cheap route. If you go to Home Depot you can buy carpet padding for like mad cheap (20 bucks for a whole bunch) and what I did was remove the tailgate molding and stuffed about 5 layers of the stuff in the tail gate. It was easiest to cut the pieces down and just layer and layer until you can't fit anymore in there. I also went kind of crazy and did it to every body panel in the car including layering one extra layer under all of my carpet. It will really quiet down the road noise and the cool part is you can crank your system, close all your windows and doors and on the outside you can't hear any rattles, you can barly hear the music at all unitl you pop the rear glass and it all comes roaring out.

All for 20 bucks and an afternoon of figuring out how to remove all the interior moldings.

-Matt

I used Hi-Temp Mastice from www.mcmaster.com It's the same as dynomat without the name. Raamat is supposed to be quite good too. It all depends on how much you want to spend... I think for a rool 32" x 54" it was like $12.73!! That's a bargain in my book...and the stuff sticks REALLY well so you don't have to worry about it falling off. I used a heat gun on some...no heat on others...and it all sticks just fine...

Peace!

Jordan23

Back