Reaction score
City, State
Bentonville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
Callsign
KG5SPB
Yep you read it right - #3. Will this ever end :snicker:

I was scanning the marketplace of FB and this little blue gem popped up and I had to go see it in person. I plan on shifting my 97's Sport to 'Loaner' status and let the new drivers (Kids) use it until they :pget their own car.

After seeing it in person and chatting with the owners, it was a no brainier.

Here is a funny fact on this vehicle - see the "Jacks" dealer sticker on the tailgate, my Green SAS/SOA 97' has the same on on it. :cool:

Its not exactly "perfect", but close enough. I love the color. Picked it up for a small sum of $2000.

1999 Mercury Mountaineer
V8, AWD
LSD Rear End
Tan Leather Interior
Great working AC/Heat - Environmental Controls
Never modified
Had a slight hit in front, but was fixed by PO (Grill and front bumper)
140,050 miles
All steering wheel switches work
Cruise Control perfect
Super clean steering wheel
Runs and Idles great. P1451 is holding CE light on, but I believe when I resolve this, it should improve better
Onboard computer is pretty fancy :thumbsup:

Some small issues:
Radio works, but screen doesn't light up
Currently has P1451 - EVAP System Canister Vent Solenoid Code
  • Any info that you can shed light on would be great. I have been reading threads on this and going to test this evening. New part ready to be ordered
Needs new rear wiper arm - weak spring
Fog lights need to be connected
Slightly longer starting issues. Not sure if it is code related or ICV need replaced or cleaned.
Multi-Function Switch - or turn signals not working/canceling
Center console arm cover was shrinking (replaced the fabric w/ some lighter leather I had - may change)

On with the photos, Ill post more 'In Progress' info/photos as I do more. :bounce:

Just what I need...another project. I'm thinking of maybe just putting slightly bigger tires (31's maybe) and TT lift and shackles.

Let the fun begin!:bounce:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perfect!!

I used to have a 2000 Mountaineer Premier....I fixed that thing up so nice, it was hard to sell her
I love these trucks very much
Very nice find, 140K is just a baby
171_191609_160000000.jpg

171_191609_170000004.jpg

171_191609_170000001.jpg

171_191609_170000003.jpg

That's literally how clean my V8 Eddie Bauer swap truck itself is, truck is perfect practically inside and out. Donor miles are 131K for the trans and 154K on the motor. Basically a new truck, no rust, nothing wrong. I'm finally working at that again, been busy forever now. You did great without question, there was a 97K mile Mountaineer here recently, guy got $2,800

Yep you read it right - #3. Will this ever end :snicker:

Beautiful! And polishing these yellowed headlights will make it look even better.
By the way, I would get rid of that silly ball on the rear bumper and install a real hitch - if you need one.

Great looking find.

I always ran a hitch and the bumper ball, both.

Looks great, and has all the best of a Gen 2. The front bumper is from an Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition which I think matches up perfect to the Mountaineer grill. I did the same thing on my '98 Explorer with the Mountaineer grill and headlight conversion. :thumbsup:

I gave it a shot. The wiper arm was pretty clean. What I'm seeing is the motor shaft is off kilter causing the arm to lift the blade, off the glass. I pressed on the shaft while it was in motion, just slightly to the passenger side, and the arm and blade dropped more on the glass appropriately. I'll pull the rear panel to see if I can adjust the motor.

Thoughts?

Looks great, and has all the best of a Gen 2. The front bumper is from an Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition which I think matches up perfect to the Mountaineer grill. :thumbsup:

That did not occur to me. Thank you. I need to know my models and parts better. :)

I knew the PO changed it, I thought only the grill and head lights were the only difference:dunno:

I used to have a 2000 Mountaineer Premier....I fixed that thing up so nice, it was hard to sell her
I love these trucks very much
Very nice find, 140K is just a baby
171_191609_160000000.jpg

171_191609_170000004.jpg

That is super nice. The stock wheels make it look
Even better.... Did they come stock with those?

I gave it a shot. The wiper arm was pretty clean. What I'm seeing is the motor shaft is off kilter causing the arm to lift the blade, off the glass. I pressed on the shaft while it was in motion, just slightly to the passenger side, and the arm and blade dropped more on the glass appropriately. I'll pull the rear panel to see if I can adjust the motor.

Thoughts?
It’s a super common issue. The bracket is too flimsy and bends. It can be beefed up. You can also lift the arm and remove a little material from the arm stops to gain more travel. There’s a thread on it somewhere.

P1451 - EVAP canister Vent Trouble shooting.

The culprit. Broken wire at the PID.
full.jpg

Wire was cut or eaten right at the connector. I pulled it apart and spliced/soldered new wires to the little female posts and cleaned and replaced all the weather proof seals.
full.jpg

Repaired and reconnected. I hooked up OBD reader and cleared the re-occuring codes.
full.jpg

I did start it up and no code reappeared. Previously, The Monty would cycle the starter a bit before starting, but this time the start was almost immediate. While the spare was out and the solenoid clear to reach, I did a quick ohm check, 56 ohms was read.

Tomorrow's trek to work will also help me see if milage will improve.

Update: (Next Day) Drove to work and during lunch took it to the JY for some odds and ends and no Check Engine light! :chug:

Dang FB, always causing trouble. lol

Nice ride sir, I am partial to the interior color. :)

Hows the suspension parts on it? Usual rebuild of all original parts, or did the PO actually do maintenance on it?

What’s maintenance? My Mounties are V8s, I’m not familiar with the concept.:laugh:

Yes I'm pretty sure the Premier came with those wheels stock

Way to go fixing this sucker already!
I LOVE the 98-01 Mounty front clip....Way better then the Gen II explorer stuff.
Forget polishing the headlights just buy new ones. The polishing will remover the factory hard coating and you will have to polish them every season. New lights are super cheap........

Yes I'm pretty sure the Premier came with those wheels stock

I LOVE the 98-01 Mounty front clip....Way better then the Gen II explorer stuff.
Forget polishing the headlights just buy new ones. The polishing will remover the factory hard coating and you will have to polish them every season. New lights are super cheap........
I think I paid $18 each. Way better than polishing. Really brought the front end back to crisp.

Dang FB, always causing trouble. lol

Nice ride sir, I am partial to the interior color. :)

Hows the suspension parts on it? Usual rebuild of all original parts, or did the PO actually do maintenance on it?

He actually did maintenance on it. I did notice a slight squeak, but not as bad as my "Squeaky" Sport-Mobile.

I am very partial to the interior color. So easy to stain, but I will admit, it was a huge factor for me on how clean it was. There is literally no major stains on the original carpets and when I lifted the mats up, I could still see vacuum brush marks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New headlights have been ordered yesterday...Ill just clean these up and put them on the 97' project. :thumbsup:

Back