Taking a new approach, got two questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taking a new approach, got two questions...

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
first off, can you do TT, AAL, or Shackles with ARC(air ride)?

and the second one:

Many of you are familiar with AK LTD's method of ARC suspension lift, i'm not quite sure what he does, but it is something that i am looking into doing on my truck, since i cannot afford a real suspension lift.

my question then is, do you think that lift (which he says gives about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of lift in 2wd) paired with a 2-3" body lift would give me enough space to fit some 33" tires (probably at least 10.5 or 11.5)?

thank you in advance.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With 5" of total lift, 33x12.50s still require trimming. They'll fit, but not perfectly. 33x10.50 will fit easier if you wish.

Originally posted by Alec
With 5" of total lift, 33x12.50s still require trimming. They'll fit, but not perfectly. 33x10.50 will fit easier if you wish.

how much trimming? a lot? how much would a shop charge to trim the wells? thanks for the help

It varies by truck. and don't have a shop do it:
1) it's easy
2) they won't do it right and
3) it's a waste of money

The air ride way is not the best way to do it. Disable the ARC, get some good shocks, and do the TT/AAL Shackles and you BL, then go for 33s :D Make 'em fit!

Besides, what if it does lift it two more inches in 4X4 mode. What will that do to help on the trail? Go for something more permanet. Besides, what happens when those air shocks fail and it comes down and set the body on the tires. You're stuck and screwed.

Go for something more permanet. Besides, what happens when those air shocks fail and it comes down and set the body on the tires. You're stuck and screwed.

I agree with this.

Originally posted by EBInterceptor
I agree with this.

ok, so then what shocks? i'm looking for affordable, not most professional. who makes the cheapest good AAL and i always hear about warrior shackles, how much is it gonna cost me for all this?

edit: and how much should i figure to have it installed? (plus a body kit)

If you do it all yourself you are looking 300 bucks give or take a few dollars. Dont do the arc lift though, it is ghetto and half ass. Since you were going to spend the money on a suspension lift to begin with, doing the BL and TT, and shackles/aal should not be too much.

Break down.

AAL-30
Shackles-60 bucks or so
BL-somewhere under 200
TT-Free

Probably any cheaper shock will do just fine. I have the edelbrocks and they can be a bit harsh on the bum and the wallet. I think you can pick extended shackles up just about any auto parts store. Warriors are just recomended because they are built better. AAL, I have no idea :p

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Probably any cheaper shock will do just fine. I have the edelbrocks and they can be a bit harsh on the bum and the wallet. I think you can pick extended shackles up just about any auto parts store. Warriors are just recomended because they are built better. AAL, I have no idea :p

around how much would you figure for a set of four decent shocks?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/

The main page has the ad for buy 3 Rancho RS9000X and get 4th for free. $251.99

I went with the RSX's and got them from truckaddons.com and cost me $203.96 shipped, but I don't know how they'll work with the lift.

Also man, do a little searching on here and Google and you will find all the info you need.

They are a good cheaper shock for the money.

Originally posted by toddious
what does anyone think about the rancho rs5000's?

Decent cheap shok, but remember they are just dampers. Meaning they compress only, with no recoil.

Originally posted by Fhantazm
Decent cheap shok, but remember they are just dampers. Meaning they compress only, with no recoil.

i dont know what that means

Taken from dictionary.com

Compress-
1. To press together: compressed her lips.
2. To make more compact by or as if by pressing.
3. Computer Science. To transform (data) to minimize the space required for storage or transmission: compressed the file so that it could be downloaded efficiently.

Recoil-
1. To spring back, as upon firing.
2. To shrink back, as in fear or repugnance.
3. To fall back; return: “Violence does, in truth, recoil upon the violent” (Arthur Conan Doyle).

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Taken from dictionary.com

Compress-
1. To press together: compressed her lips.
2. To make more compact by or as if by pressing.
3. Computer Science. To transform (data) to minimize the space required for storage or transmission: compressed the file so that it could be downloaded efficiently.

Recoil-
1. To spring back, as upon firing.
2. To shrink back, as in fear or repugnance.
3. To fall back; return: “Violence does, in truth, recoil upon the violent” (Arthur Conan Doyle).

alright smartass, well by your definition, i better only go over one bump, because my shocks won't ever come back up after that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You said you didn't understand :p You spring will bring them back up to "normal" ride height after they're compressed. They won't extend by themselves. :D

Back