• Register Today It's free!

Talk me into or out of a 3rd Gen

Red97EBV8

Reaction score
City, State
Harvest, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 EB V8 2WD
I no longer have the Ex in my user name. It got totalled. I've been a few years now without an Ex, and I'm getting the itch for another one. The 3rd gens look appealing to me. Several are available around here for cheap, and I like the body-on-frame construction, and the independent rear suspension.

However, my research has turned up MUCH concern over transmissions.

First, a little history. My first Ex was a 92 4x4 with a manual 5-speed. The tranny developed a leak, which caused the fluid level to drop too low... and a tranny rebuild shortly thereafter. Next, my 97 V8 2wd had an auto trans, which also went out. It shifted quite firmly when I bought it (used), and after the rebuild, it shifted smooth as silk. So I suspected that someone had put in the wrong fluid.

So I'm a little gunshy over Explorer transmissions. 2 Explorers, two tranny rebuilds. Am I insane for tempting fate again with a 3rd gen transmission that seems worse (from what I'v read) than the two I've already had to have rebuilt?

How is the reliability of the 3rd gen transmissions? Is there any way to gauge potential problems of a potential purchase? Are there any combinations that are better or worse (V8 vs V6, 2wd vs 4wd), etc?

Thanks.

I no longer have the Ex in my user name. It got totalled. I've been a few years now without an Ex, and I'm getting the itch for another one. The 3rd gens look appealing to me. Several are available around here for cheap, and I like the body-on-frame construction, and the independent rear suspension.

However, my research has turned up MUCH concern over transmissions.

First, a little history. My first Ex was a 92 4x4 with a manual 5-speed. The tranny developed a leak, which caused the fluid level to drop too low... and a tranny rebuild shortly thereafter. Next, my 97 V8 2wd had an auto trans, which also went out. It shifted quite firmly when I bought it (used), and after the rebuild, it shifted smooth as silk. So I suspected that someone had put in the wrong fluid.

So I'm a little gunshy over Explorer transmissions. 2 Explorers, two tranny rebuilds. Am I insane for tempting fate again with a 3rd gen transmission that seems worse (from what I'v read) than the two I've already had to have rebuilt?

How is the reliability of the 3rd gen transmissions? Is there any way to gauge potential problems of a potential purchase? Are there any combinations that are better or worse (V8 vs V6, 2wd vs 4wd), etc?

Thanks.

Bought 2004 from private party, March, 2010, 91,000 miles. Now have 136,000 miles, no problems, shifts just fine, no gear noise, but DID have a grumbling low frequency noise (rear) which could have been differential case support bearings or rear wheel bearings. Stethoscope revealed noise source was left rear wheel hub, removed bearing, found:

wheel_10.jpg

The pitting in the outer bearing race made noise for several thousand miles before it got bad enough to encourage me to look into it. A new hub, complete with bearings and ABS sensor, was $51.50 on E-bay. Chinese made, yeah, I know, no good. It's been fine for 30,000 miles now. This was the only issue with the vehicle. We love it. imp

Back