Talk me out of it...99 Limited for cheap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Talk me out of it...99 Limited for cheap

bluexpy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer-less
I have a local dealer begging me to buy this 99 Explorer Limited 4x4. I think it's AWD. How to tell? It's dark blue with 88k miles on it. Stock everything. It's very nice, and he wants to get rid of it...so the price is dirt cheap. I'm really tempted...it's pretty, and it's such a luxurious vehicle. :p:

The problem is, I already have an Explorer...a '94, in mint condition. I spent a few grand on it already. Unloading it today would be really hard. And it's manual. The 99 Limited is auto.

What are the big differences between a 94 and 99-00?

Should I...?? Or no...??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a local dealer begging me to buy this 99 Explorer Limited 4x4. I think it's AWD. How to tell? It's dark blue with 88k miles on it. Stock everything. It's very nice, and he wants to get rid of it...so the price is dirt cheap. I'm really tempted...it's pretty, and it's such a luxurious vehicle. :p:

The problem is, I already have an Explorer...a '94, in mint condition. I spent a few grand on it already. Unloading it today would be really hard. And it's manual. The 99 Limited is auto.

What are the big differences between a 94 and 99-00?

Should I...?? Or no...??
V8 AWD is going to cost you in gas.

More like "talk you INTO it" ..lol I have a '99 Limited and love it! I believe that all Limiteds are Full-Time AWD. The monochrome look really sets them apart from the other Explorers and looks awesome with a good buff/wax, as does every Explorer :) Keep the tires properly inflated and rotated so you don't burn out the transfer case. Great sound system too, with CD changer. AWD in snow can't be beat. Self leveling air shocks in rear are nice for towing or when loading in a lot of fat-a$$ed friends. :D Robust tranny.
Quirks: rough riding when any bushings, ball joints, suspension components, tires wear out. Loss of LED display on stereo head unit (common to all Ex's).
Gas mileage not the greatest (probably why you're getting good price), but not THAT bad, either. I get ~ 16mpg city, and I've gotten 24mpg highway staying around 60mph.
Enjoy.

Mileage? Price? Location?

V8 will have a more reliable transmission.. Fuel mileage wise you can gain some and be close to what a v6 can get with a simple tune from a xcal or similar tuner.

You all are a bad bunch, :D

I agree, and it being dark blue, it looks so aggressive. That makes me want it more.

Which trannies did the V6/V8 get? Didn't the V8s had the flying spark plug epidemic?

Roger on the tires & AWD. They all had it? Better check the TC thoroughly.

I currently get 17/23 on my '94. So it looks like it will remain the same or better after giving it my standard used-car-checklist-when-I-get-it-home service. The only disappointment would be losing money. :eek:

Looks like i'll have a 4th vehicle now if they don't want to trade in my 94. :confused:

You all are a bad bunch, :D

Which trannies did the V6/V8 get? Didn't the V8s had the flying spark plug epidemic?

V6 - A4LD(<94),4R44E(95,96),5R55E(97-01) (nothing spectacular)
V8- 4R70W (great unit)

Plug blowout is a non- issue on the 5.0 Engine. Seems to affect mostly modular 5.4L and to an extent 4.6 in the larger truck line. One theory is the use of three threads in the head to hold the plug. Over time the plug loosens up, gets some play and eventually is ejected with the Coil on plug taking the threads for the ride.

Thanks. Don't have to worry about the plugs shoot-out now. Since it was closed today, I snuck a peek. It's pretty nice. Someone installed a brush guard and lights on the front. it also had a rear spoiler above the gate. Was this factory? I've never seen it before. It has the V6. Ehh...

whats cheap. not that it matters if you think its cheap but that ****, and have you a spare.

V8- 4R70W (great unit)

Plug blowout is a non- issue on the 5.0 Engine. Seems to affect mostly modular 5.4L and to an extent 4.6 in the larger truck line. One theory is the use of three threads in the head to hold the plug. Over time the plug loosens up, gets some play and eventually is ejected with the Coil on plug taking the threads for the ride.

More than a theory 96. The newer replacement heads being cast are being cast with 7 threads on the 4.6 32V motors. Looks like Ford has found the error of their ways with this one. Oh yea...the V10's may be the worst of all for the problem. Easiest way to prevent it? Retorque your plugs with every oil change. Big time pain...but that will prevent it. You will be amazed how often you find a loose plug.

V8- 4R70W (great unit)

Not quite, the '95 and '96 models used the 4R55E.

Not quite, the '95 and '96 models used the 4R55E.

My bad, you are correct. All these numbers!

The ranger has the 4R44E though, its a lower duty unit.

Thanks for the correction

is it an V8 or the V6? my 99 limited has the 6 and she will get up n F'n go! it is a great vehicle and i love it.... depending on where u live tho my personal opinon about the AWD is that it sucks and do the brown wire mod that is also on here.....although mine is auto i am a sucker for manual trans.....they are VERY NICE vehicles but u do ur judgement n decide....ask if u can do one of those over-night test drives to see if u like it any better...good luck on chosing:salute:

Argh...I hate myself sometimes. As time passes by, I'm more determined now more than ever to get a late 2nd gen Limited.

Firefighter, the Explorer in question has the 4.0 SOHC V6. Not sure what it's like, but my '94 OHV is a real dog, even w/ a manual. It's that rear end. :rolleyes:

Just read that all Limited had the 3.73 rear end. Is this true? If so, awesome.

I live in the mid-Atlantic region. We get snow, but not that much snow...hasn't been getting snow, just dusting in the last few years, anyway...I'll feel the AWD out and go from there. Does the AWD models have the 4x4 selector? I'll look into the brown wire mod.

P.S. found a very nice '00 Limited 30 miles away from me...oh, boy...what am I getting myself into again?

The V6 in it will provide enough power, it is a slight bit quicker than a V8(stock for stock) and includes the 5 speed slushbox which helps to improve fuel economy.

The gearing depends on what options were selected from the factory. You'll have to check the axle code on the drivers door tag to determine it, D4 is 3.73LS.

The V6 models have control trac 4WD. It does have a selector and includes low range. It has an auto mode which diverts power to the front when needed, not true AWD. The V8s got a single speed true AWD transfer case. If you plan to do no off-roading, or very little the AWD from the V8's is perfect.

I much prefer the low end grunt of the V8, its ability to hold gears on long uphill stints and of course the sound! The AWD for me is perfect for everyday driving and the sometimes harsh PA winters. The Explorer's AWD and a set of snow tires make it one unstoppable beast!

Argh...I hate myself sometimes. As time passes by, I'm more determined now more than ever to get a late 2nd gen Limited.

Firefighter, the Explorer in question has the 4.0 SOHC V6. Not sure what it's like, but my '94 OHV is a real dog, even w/ a manual. It's that rear end. :rolleyes:

Just read that all Limited had the 3.73 rear end. Is this true? If so, awesome.

I live in the mid-Atlantic region. We get snow, but not that much snow...hasn't been getting snow, just dusting in the last few years, anyway...I'll feel the AWD out and go from there. Does the AWD models have the 4x4 selector? I'll look into the brown wire mod.

P.S. found a very nice '00 Limited 30 miles away from me...oh, boy...what am I getting myself into again?

I love my 95 Limited with the 4.0! But I would trade it for an 01 Limited with heated seats, if I could find the right color...

Back