Tamper resistant fasteners on MAF | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tamper resistant fasteners on MAF

98Rick07

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB, 2007 EB
So, I've got a CEL on my 98 and thought I'd pull the MAF off and spray it with some electrical cleaner and see if I get lucky. I know I need to get the codes, but had a little spare time today, but was stopped short by the 2 screws that hold the MAF on. They're torx drives but have the little post in the center to prohibit getting a normal torx driver in there. It's my vehicle, can't I tamper with it if I want to?:( Anyway, what have you guys been using? I assume you have the right driver and if so, where do you get one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

snap the little posts off with a punch and hammer, or, buy the proper bit. easier to break the little posts off mind you...

Cool. I'm in HF all the time. I'll pick one up if they have them. Thanks.

Just a thought, but if you can buy a whole security bit set for $6 at HF, how secure are they? lol.

You can also get them at McMaster-Carr. Sold by the bit...

Choices....choices. I've never had a need for these drivers, but now I know where to get some. Thanks a million.

first time I deal with those I just screw them out using some pliers, later I bougth the proper torx with the hole in the center.

Also some lock resin is in the area for the torx bit in order to secure, after I pulled out the screws with the pliers, with a ligther I burn that resin and removed from the screws very easy.

Back