Tap Sound...Oil Recommendation? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tap Sound...Oil Recommendation?

It's possible that the engine flush broke loose a piece of gunk that is blocking an oil passage someplace. Headers can amplify a tick because they're thinner than cast iron manifolds. Happened on a Firebird I owned back in the day.
0w-30 can end up with a thicker viscosity than 5w-30. I have seen this with my own two eyes on laboratory used oil analysis on the 4.0 SOHC Ranger I had previously.
After 5000 miles, Mobil 1 0w-30 was thicker than Mobil 1 5w-30 was. I ran the 0w in the winter, but the wear metals were actually higher with that so it didn't help.
I have used Auto-RX engine cleaner in my decrepit work van and the engine was noticeably quieter afterward. Try that and then just use a 5w-30 high mileage oil like Max Life.

Why do you think you need to flush the motor?

To see if it can maybe free up a lifter sticking if that could be the problem. I don't really want to do another flush though and waste all that money on new oil if it's not a lifter.

I'll I've ever used in it since I've got my rig was full synthetic oil, it's never had anything cheap that's for sure. First thing I'm going to do this weekened is check all my header bolts and make sure there all still torqued to the right specs. If that doesn't work then what? Honestly, what do you guys think I should do? Just leave the Amsoil 0w30 in or go to Amsoil's 5w30? Could it really be an oil problem? If it's not the oil then it's got to be a lifter sticking or a rocker arm out of adjustment. After I check the header bolts I'll keep you guys posted, just going to have to take it one step at a time. Thanks for everyones advice so far :thumbsup:

i've read what y'all are syaing about the oil and the lifters.

I have an 01' Jeep with a 4.0 I-6 in it that also has valve tap and chatter, almost to a disel sound now. Its very loud.

Do any of you think a different type of oil would make a difference?

I use Mobile 1 Fulsyn at 10w-30.

Its not an exhaust leak, i live in a temperate climate, its worse when its cold.

Thanks

Back