tapping at startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tapping at startup

alwysGOTprobsLOL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer xlt
when i first start my 99 explorer after it sits at least 6hrs it taps like i changed the oil till the oil pressure guage moves into normal range. it takes about 5 seconds. what needs to be fixed? thanks for the advise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a sticky or worn hydraulic valve lifter to me.

I heard some people have luck putting sea foam in the oil as per the directions to try to clean it out. Other people won't do that on older motors.

You didn't say if it is an OHV or SOHC, but here is some more reading.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205003

I have that too. Sort of expect it when the temp reads 5 in the morning, like today. My Dodge pickup does that too, and its a lot “newer”. How about a 0W oil?

My 2000 4.0L SOHC has been doing it for years. I've got 256,000 on it. In my mind, there is nothing to fix. Just a quirk of an older engine.

are you using an oil filter with an anti-drain-back valve?

If its a fram filter that noise doesn't surprise me. The ADBV doesn't work 90% of the time. and hence that noise. Use motocraft filters.

How would I know that?

If you use Motorcraft oil filters (Wix, K&N, Mobil 1 or Royal Purple) you don't need to know it. That's why you should use a filter specially designed for your vehicle. Your truck came with a Motorcraft filter with an ADB in it. cheap oil filters often don't have one (or if they do they don't work).

I had that issue on my X in the cold. Switched back from 5w20 to 5w30 and no noise.

I had that issue on my X in the cold. Switched back from 5w20 to 5w30 and no noise.

Isn’t the lower viscosity the determining factor in oil flow when cold? Both are 5W at low temps. I would think a 0W would make some difference.

Isn’t the lower viscosity the determining factor in oil flow when cold? Both are 5W at low temps. I would think a 0W would make some difference.

Yes. In theory it should when comparing apples to apples but this is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and if it is high quality synthetic or not.

If it is a good quality synthetic oil, 5w should be more than fine for temperatures down to 0 and low negatives.

More than likely it is in fact a lazy lifter to where even going to down to a 0w, probably won't do to much. OP how many miles on this motor? Wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers to find out.

Back