Tapping puddle lights to turn signals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tapping puddle lights to turn signals

jeffwhiteis

Reaction score
Although somewhat futile, I'm still interested. Has anyone actually gone through with the process of wiring the puddle lights to the turn signals?

I understand how this would work, and know I need to cut off the actual connection to the puddle lights so as not to illuminate when I Unlock my truck, but here's my question...

I do not want to have to feed all sorts of wire through the mirror and door, and am trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. First question is... does anyone have a wiring diagram or wiring info as to where the puddle lamps are most easily accessible? Im having a hard time finding them under the dash. I can find the parking lamp wires, and I dont mind feeding wire through the engine compartment, but where else can I access EACH puddle lamp wire? What color should the wire be, I believe it's red?

Any helpful info, including diagrams or pics would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

You can disregard my last post, as I've figured it all out. Since 'some' positive replies about the mod were made in the initial request, I've taken the liberty of taking step-by-step photos, with detailed instructions on how to complete this mod, and as such, will draft a "how to" writeup when I'm finished.

wouldnt the turn signals back-feed through the puddle lights and cause the interior dome lights the flash with the turn signals...

well......i guess that would certainly gain peoples attention that your making a turn

haha, yea it would.... thats if you just tapped into the turn signals from the hot lead from the puddle lamps, but im not doing that. ive cut off the power wire to the puddle lamps.

my only problem is that wile I had the passenger side door panel off, I was prying the harness of the power window switch, and I accidentally broke the power window switch (the green circuit inside the switch got loose) When I reassembled everything, the switch felt differently when pushed and it wouldnt work and the window would not go down. The motor was not turning either.

The master switch on my drivers side will not role down the passenger side window either. If I broke the switch on one side, wouldnt the master switch still role it down?

Is it the switch? Harness? Did I blow a fuse? Whats the diagnosis here if the master switch wont roll the window down either? All of the other windows work fine.

The power comes into the master switch then to the other doors, you've broken the power circuit to that door's motor.

So a new switch will fix the problem, right?

Back