tapping valves | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

tapping valves

ARTURPOLAND

Reaction score
City, State
POZNAN, POLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 HIGHCLASS
Hi, I had a noisy valves in my SOHC '97 and the engine "clicking" while idle. Initially I wanted to replace adjusters or valves (costly stuff). But I have found here somewhere that it could be the bad oil filter. Indeed. I am far from advertising ford original parts but I changed oil (flushed the motor with kerosene) filter to Motorcraft and.....All noises has gone.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Heavymentill

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Limited
Sounds like the infamous timing chain rattle. The cams open the valves.

marragtop

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
balt, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
I would suspect that the kerosene flush had more to do with it than the oil filter. Did you do both at the same time?

ARTURPOLAND

Reaction score
City, State
POZNAN, POLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 HIGHCLASS
Yeah, I did it the same time. You are right, I should actually do the flush first.

dynamite196

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Make sure you change the oil after 500 miles or so as the residual kerosene will really thin it out.