Taskers Gap/Peters Mill (Virginia) Run | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taskers Gap/Peters Mill (Virginia) Run

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
My navigator (Spike) on the last trip to the GWNF has reminded me that there is another off road area in the George Washington National Forest (Taskers Gap or Peters Mill). It is between Sperryville and Edinburg. Based on a review of the forestry map and info on the internet, it appears to be a possible offroad run destination. It does appear to be very popular with the ATV crowd. However, there are some OHV (4x4) trails.

Has anybody been there? What was it like?
Would anybody be interested in a run at the end of the month or beginning of November?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would be interested, i should be lifted a little by then :) there is one weekend in the beginning of november that i have to be at home because family is visiting but anytime is fine for me.

As far as I can tell the trails are passable with stock equipment, and no body damage. There may be some mud, but the forestry department seriously frowns of mudding.

Now I am really interested.

Yeah, I've been down it a number of times since I live only about three miles from the north end. Not too bad of a trail although you might want to check ahead of time to ensure it's open. I know they were redoing part of it a month or so ago because it had gotten all torn up

May be interested. What about a Thanksgiving run?

I'm ready, lets do it to it! Does anyone know when it starts snowing there? I think a few inchs of snow would make the trip alot more interesting.

it looks like that if im going to be there i will be the stocker. not lookin like there is a lift in my future. ill still attempt what i can with my truck. i have no idea when it starts snowin there.

I'm ready for this. Want to do a couple little things for the X first.. like put on my manual hubs and tow hooks. How about mid to late November. Trying to get my brother out this time.. he won't have time the first part of the month and his explorer needs some work. And snow would def. make it a fun time...

A snow run would definatly be more challenging. It can snow in the mountians pretty much anytime after Nov. 1. What time in November is every body available?

I'm pretty much free every weekend in November, so whatever you guys decide is OK with me.

While this may be the mountains more or less the temperature differential is only a few degrees from the northern Virginia area. Usually we don't get snow until the end of December but there have been unusual years

Oh well in that case F it I'm going to the CO. Rockies.

We should start talking dates.

Thanksgiving is less than a week before December. Native Virginians know how unpredictable our weather is. The best bet for snow is typically a late winter run. Then the snow may only be on the north facing slopes.

How about the Friday or Sat. after Thanksgiving? Snow or not it is still going to be a blast. We can always plan a run in the middle of winter as well when we know there is going to be snow up there.

id be down for after thanksgiving, im still going to be stock height and everything then, but i could probably get through some/most of the stuff. as long as i have about 2weeks notice i can probably get out for a run/meet.

I'd join you the weekend after Thanksgiving - Should be able to have the Ex in shape by then and can't make it any earlier in the month...

I am hoping to have my X ready by them as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I guess we will meet at the same place (Circuit City on W. Broads st.) on Fri. Nov. 25th,or Sat. the 26th, 7:00-8:00 A.M.? How many of you guys plan on making a whole weekend out of it?

Back