Taxxman's SAS | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taxxman's SAS

Well since everyone and their brother is starting an SAS thread I thought I would start one for mine.

According to the Fed Ex tracking number the Scout steering box is sitting at my house waiting for me to get home tonight. My 44 is sitting at a shipping dock waiting for me to drag the trailer over there tomorrow to pic it up. I'll get some pics tomorrow or Wednesday.

I am putting a Dana 44 from a 76 bronco under the front of my truck. It will be coil sprung and steered by a scout steering box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PS. I love these springs. They will prolly serttle .5 - 1 inch makeing the front and rear almost perfectly level with my SOA and AAL in the rear. These springs are nice and soft. I can get that thing bouncing pretty good, which with the right shocks will make for a nice ride on the road and some killeer flex off!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

rear of spring shock mount:

Attachments

• shocktowers.jpg
    shocktowers.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 371

second shock kit for in front of the springs.

Attachments

• 5101_5500.jpg
    5101_5500.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 368

where did you get those?

i was thinking of fabbing some but ide rather it look professional.

did you keep your BL in?

no BL. All suspension. I got mine from bronco graveyard for $40. Or you can get them from james duff. The two are exactly the same.

you gots 35 150 xterrain on 10" wheel right? like these?

3front2-med.jpg

i had to trim my bumper and fenders to gt them to keep from rubbing. it wouldnt rub on road or turning on road but offroad under partial compression they would rub like a bugger. even after i trimmed i would rub so i went with 33s

3P1010025.jpg

and i still rub a little on the inside front fender well when flexing out and turning.

oh yeah thats with SOA front and rear with extended shackles (cheapo AZ) and AAL front and rear and 2" BL. I took out BL when i went to 33s as it looked too tall and of course put myself back inthe same position i was.

do t be discouraged though i placed my axle an inch forward from stock wheel position so that all of my trimming would be inteh front. though i did end up trimming a bit in rear of front fender well as wel.

im going o hook up with those shock mounts!

Ya I moved it one or two inches forward for that reason. All my trimming will be up front. And I will have to trim....:( haven't put my bumper back on yet for a test fit but it will be tight. Yup same tires 35x12.50 on a 15x10 rim

Looking great Dave.

How tight is the gear box against the lower rad. hose?? Mine is extremely tight. Like pinching the hose tight. It's running okay and hasn't shown any signs of over heating, but it's tight. You'res looks pretty good.

Oh its tight. Up against it and pushing on it a bit. Maybe not as much as yours but some.

Here is the start on my new rad arm brackets.... still needs angled peice in the front going up on the inside of the frame rail. What do you think?

Attachments

• dsc00216.jpg
    dsc00216.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 319

another

Attachments

• dsc00217.jpg
    dsc00217.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 324

Now I can see that you do know how to weld. :)

Lookin' good.

That 1/2" steel? on second thought, looks like maybe its only 1/4", except for the piece with the hole.

Its half in stock supposedly. But is more like 3/8.the thicker part is two butted together for the bushings. Stock setups are smoother so we will see how long the bushings hold up. It isn't driven everyday so should be fine.

I can weld when I take my time and do it right;) need to work on that whole upside down welding situation...:p

Woo Hoo! She drives! can't wait to flex it out tuesday and measure for shocks. only issues minus shocks to resolve are:

- Driveshafts
- Replace some bolts with right length and right grade on steering
- make trac bar mount and relocate track bar. The setup now was just temporary and I now have experienced some SERIOUS bump steer!
- mount break line like at frame (just hanging now)
- little fender trimming inside drivers side
- Wash the beast
- Drive and ENJOY!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 302

up close

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 298

final RA bracket...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 322

oh and I gotta clean up this mess....:(

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 323

Looks Great Dave!! Congrats!!!

btw: at some point, you have to paint the trim on the garage:D

every weekend I want to do it we get rain, I want it to be nice and dry. could have done it today, but had more important things to finish up :D

Looks awesome Taxxman. You and Robb have exactly what I have always wanted. Two X's, one setup for off-roading and one for daily driving (street).

Very, very smoooooothh!!! I think washing her would be a waste of time- get her dirtier first then wash her! :D

Back