Tbars Project "X" begins | Page 55 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Project "X" begins

First and foremost my ranger is my favorite truck...I will not let any of you fools try to talk me into changing my new project into some rock beast, lmao...this rig is just to go camping and fishing in and thats it...it took all the money i had to buy and the seller was great and is a new member here....thanks rick, the seller that is...

I have never as much sat in an explorer and today was the first time i opened a door on one...

It needs alot of tlc and a new 4.0 motor as the current one is seized...It needs a bit of paint work as the clear coat is shot and the front fenders are a different color....

Notes
1) Kbabiak, you need to make some pre-made shipping tags with my name on them as I will be needed a bunch of little parts...
2) Admin Rick, I sent my new membership dues in at 8am this morning as i was hoping to be a new X owner...
3)All elite members, I am going to need alot of help and parts for my new to me, 91 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

..It's all about Logistics...;)

..and when I get home I only have time to repair them to get back on the road..:D

...Been home for over a week this time so solid Motor Mounts I have installed..:biggthump

..:shifty_ey ..Heading out to JV and will test them out for sure..:burnout:

..The Mounts are tested and work perfect..:biggthump

..I did have an issue with my trans I might have caught earlier if I had these on..The only way I knew was it was a really odd idle that caused a vibration that transmitted on idle in drive at a light..:scratch:

..These do not transmit any other vibration noise at all as I tested them in deep sand, on the rocks and the washboard roads..

Here's a couple shots I happened to snap this weekend..:D

DSC0684b.jpg

DSC0689b1.jpg

Good to know! They install easy enough?

..Yep..:D

..For those doing any motor mounts the first time, the drivers side has fixed holes which is the side I installs first and the passenger side which I install last have a adjustment slot on top that the bolts on that side fit into..:hammer:

..Pictures or it didn't happen...:popcorn:

..and I am honored cause I'm sure you had something to do with it...:salute:

i have to ask wht size tires rims body and suspension lift do u have on tht gray explorer looks too nice :D

dont like the fact tht it leans tho XP
but awesome truck i have my own maroon red i plan to do the same:salute:

...Thanks...its always been on 35's and its still pretty much the same as I got it...its all in this thread though.

..Thanks to sirhk100 for spotting my X as it looks to have made it into a "Land Use" article that posted online today at OffroadXtreme.com..

Can You Believe It? Grand Canyon Trails On List To Close
http://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/can-you-believe-it-grand-canyon-trails-on-list-to-close/

..I actually know nothing about this so it's a pleasant surprise..:)...except the part where one of our awesome trails may be closed..:(

I think I know when this picture was taken and I'm assuming Brian1 took the shot..

2015-09-10_16-44-42_offroad_extreme_article.jpg

i'm a bad boy, i know it....i couldn't resist...i'm playing hookie and i'm never put customers off...but i know you guys will understand...the truck is getting moved into the shop tonight and the mechanic will also start on the donor motor then too...i had a guy driving by the shop and i heard brakes screach and someone back up....he was in his stock 4x2 91 xlt that he is restoring to mint and just had to check the truck out...turns out he's replacing some interior parts i need so now i gained a new friend....i took some comparison shots of my X and his....the top of my front bumper is the height of the top of his hood...

sidexside004ym9.jpg

sidexside002vm6.jpg

sidexside001yr5.jpg

tht third picture
is just so offensive XD

They look so much better lifted :D

Project X lost its head gaskets on Thanksgiving 2014. I have been so busy and putting lots of miles on the Ranger but its about time to get back to 2 trucks capable of long trips and off road so...

...This just happened. I picked up these items for projects to be done by this Thanksgiving :)

Head gaskets, bolts and... a solar panel for good measure :D

Yep..A used 130 watt Kyocera panel rated for about 7.5-8 amps and a new 12/24volt 20 amp digital controller.

It's about time to try out some solar on my brand new fridge :)

I thought about putting a solar panel on my roof rack. I decided that if I am doing expedition type trail driving, its being run (charged) most of the day and the batteries gets used at night. It would only benefit me if I was parked for most of a day, which is unlikely.

The solar panel will be hooked up and tested like a base camp set up within the next week, outside of the truck at a remote location just for testing purposes first..:hammer:

For the past 3 years my winters have been filled with off road race cars just trail running then testing and tuning from November till February in Johnson Valley. I've figured a way to do the hardest trails in the World and not have to repair my trucks weekly. I get to park my rigs and ride along :D

My explorer is better suited as a camping vehicle/Field office although my Ranger does well for this also, just a lot less room to do it in. These days I am found running lots of electronics in the trucks such as spending hours on the computer sorting pics, sending updates, doing stories and even helping send tune programs back and forth between tuners and race cars. With my dual battery set up I can get up to almost 3 days just running a fridge without starting the vehicle. With charging comms and assorted electronics batteries (radios, phones, computers, camera batteries, etc.), plus the above described task I'm getting 1-1/2 to 2 days max.

My trucks get me to the remote locations then wind up parked for days being used as an office where either I stay in them at night or I am spending the nights in other Motorhomes. Either way, My trucks are still running my electronics and fridge for up to weeks at a time. The trucks wind up actually not moving except when I swap race camps (3 days to a week normally), I do recovery to drag someone back to camp, or playing chase on different trails to get pictures. This doesn't really allow enough time for the batteries to fully charge and has proven very taxing on the alternator's on my trucks where I am going thru one a year but my YellowTop Optima's haven't faltered in the least. The temperatures during this time can be from 10* F up to 100* F outside of the closed truck but there is always plenty of Sun.

My hopes with the solar panel is to extend the life of the Alternator and Batteries while making the X better self reliant. I may even add a 3rd battery later. 1- for vehicle operations, 2- the second battery for fridge and electronics, and 3- the third battery would wind up being back up starting battery, power for on board air, and if I add a winch. This would be way down the line. :D

Do these new shoes make my X look fat? :)

Out with the old..
20161112_083330.jpg

In with the new er ..

20161118_072823.jpg

Back