Tcase not goin into 4 low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tcase not goin into 4 low

reigle

Reaction score
City, State
hills grove, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok well i was wheelin today behind a buddies house and i was in 4 high, got into a tight stop and got a little high center, went to push it into 4 low and no go? It wouldnt go into 4 low or light up the light.

What needs to be replaced?

I really need 4 low to go any farther on this trail and it was bad fun let me know asap!

thanks

I have a stock electric push button tcase found in a 92 xls 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did 4Low work before and just stop working, or did it never work?

to tell you the truth this is the first time i have ever tried the 4 low, in the 2 years I owned this rig.

I mainly just use 4 hi, even though lately it doesnt go into 4 hi right away just gotta wait a little.

to tell you the truth this is the first time i have ever tried the 4 low, in the 2 years I owned this rig.

I mainly just use 4 hi, even though lately it doesnt go into 4 hi right away just gotta wait a little.

Ok the reason I asked is because 4Low has safety devices in place to prevent it from being accidentally engaged. If you engaged 4x4 low at high speed it would tear itself apart :eek:

As such to engage 4x4 Low you must

1) Already be in 4x4 High
2) Transmission in neutral
3) Clutch depressed for manual Transmissions
4) Speed must be under 3mph (everyone just completely stops)
5) now you can press 4x4 Low

well i went out to try it again, no go.. And this time no 4hi! it will not go into 4hi when i push the button.

If 4x4 high doesn't work and you hear the 4x4 controller relays clicking from the rear hatch then you most likely have a shift motor failure.. The shift motor is responsible for moving the T-case selector shaft from 2H to 4H to 4L. Fortunately the failure in most cases is due to a tiny bump stop that has broken apart.. check out the Shift Motor rebuild thread for lots of good info and pics on this subject.

Back