• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

TDI diesel engine in an explorer

Audio_1

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
" I have a 1991 ford explorer that barley runs and sits in the driveway - I've also got a friend with a VW Passat TDI engine - I came across something online a while back where somone did a similar engine swap...but not I can't find anything about it--do any of you know anything? ie if the tdi engine could be replaced in a non vw car"

im asking this because im curious about this question brought up on another board. is this possible to do without extensive modifification?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Jeep Cherokee
It has 90hp and a handful of torque. It would probably get worse mileage than your origional 4.0l. Nevermind the amount of work that it would take to fit it.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Is it possible to do without alot of work? Are you retarted?

If you would be capable of doing the swap you wouldnt have to ask this question.

'97 V8

Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
sn0border88 said:
Is it possible to do without alot of work? Are you retarted?

If you would be capable of doing the swap you wouldnt have to ask this question.
im sure he wanted to clarified responce on what would need to be changed and what else is involved.

As Iamtodd said, it would probably get worse milage than the 4.0 becuass the strain on the engine to move the 5000 pound mass of the truck would be alot. So pretty much it would be at or near wide open throttle. As for the electronoics....um wow will that be hard. The other issue is getting the power to the wheels. I cant think of any one who would make an adaptor or a tranny let alone for the x to a TDI engine.

AHving everything work together would be your problem

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
[QUOTE='97 V8]im sure he wanted to clarified responce on what would need to be changed and what else is involved.
[/QUOTE]

Well thank you for explaing that to him. :rolleyes: