• Register Today It's free!

TDI diesel engine in an explorer

Audio_1

Reaction score
City, State
Red herring
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
" I have a 1991 ford explorer that barley runs and sits in the driveway - I've also got a friend with a VW Passat TDI engine - I came across something online a while back where somone did a similar engine swap...but not I can't find anything about it--do any of you know anything? ie if the tdi engine could be replaced in a non vw car"

im asking this because im curious about this question brought up on another board. is this possible to do without extensive modifification?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has 90hp and a handful of torque. It would probably get worse mileage than your origional 4.0l. Nevermind the amount of work that it would take to fit it.

Is it possible to do without alot of work? Are you retarted?

If you would be capable of doing the swap you wouldnt have to ask this question.

sn0border88 said:
Is it possible to do without alot of work? Are you retarted?

If you would be capable of doing the swap you wouldnt have to ask this question.

im sure he wanted to clarified responce on what would need to be changed and what else is involved.

As Iamtodd said, it would probably get worse milage than the 4.0 becuass the strain on the engine to move the 5000 pound mass of the truck would be alot. So pretty much it would be at or near wide open throttle. As for the electronoics....um wow will that be hard. The other issue is getting the power to the wheels. I cant think of any one who would make an adaptor or a tranny let alone for the x to a TDI engine.

AHving everything work together would be your problem

[QUOTE='97 V8]im sure he wanted to clarified responce on what would need to be changed and what else is involved.
[/QUOTE]

Well thank you for explaing that to him. :rolleyes:

Back