teach me how to take care of this thing!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

teach me how to take care of this thing!!!

toph

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
so got my kona blue limited ex, black leather, moonroof, etc. this is the nicest car i've owned. i love it.

I live in maine and can see the ocean from my front yard (ie salt) also lots of calcium chloride on the roads in winter. i have 2 kids under age 5.
Lots of reasons to protect my explorer!

I would like to hear from you guys about taking care of the paint, the wheels (the bling aluminum ones), tires, vinyl, leather, undercarriage...all of it!!!!!
I ordered all weather mats that will be in next week (thanks to blwnsmke)

I have looked into 'ziebarting' - seems like it may be a waste of money, except perhaps the undercarriage treatment?
Some of you already weighed in on the dealer treatment stuff- which i did not go for.

THANKS!!:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Piant- RejeX wax
Wheels- RejeX wax
Tires- Aerospace Prot. 303
Vinyl- 303
Leather- Zaino Z10
Undercarriage- quality, touchless car wash weekly during the winter

That rejex stuff requires 12 hours of cure and must be applied under 85 degrees...wont be possible to apply it here in Georgia until November.

when i used to do the cars myself i always used zaino, good protection....

Well as for taking care of the body, wax atleast once a month ( I use meguiars tech wax) and apply a uv protectant to all plastic and rubber trim ( I recomend turtle wax f21). As for mechanical maintanence there is this thing in your glove box calle and owners manual, turn to the page that says maintenence and do what its says lol.

I have to say that RejeX is phenomenal.

Hadn't heard of it until this forum and its great on the Ex. Never seen water bead off paint like it does with RejeX. Great on the polished aluminum wheels too.

Highly recommended

Check out Griot's Garage on the web- everything from them that I have used has been good stuff. They have a handbook of auto care that will give you lots of good info if you are new to the compulsive, errr, world of car detailing and I think it is free(?) with an order.

That rejex stuff requires 12 hours of cure and must be applied under 85 degrees...wont be possible to apply it here in Georgia until November.

Do you have a garage? Is it really +85 degrees at say 8:00 PM? I'm sure you can find a nice summer day prior to November. The cure time is mainly to avoid direct sunlight and rain.

Do you have a garage? Is it really +85 degrees at say 8:00 PM? I'm sure you can find a nice summer day prior to November. The cure time is mainly to avoid direct sunlight and rain.

And by cure time they don't mean leave it on and not to buff it off for 12 hrs, do they?

I thought the same, just keep it out of rain or direct sun

Simple care goes a long way. Just wash and polish twice a year (spring and fall). I personally found a great product that's been on the market for awhile and it's available at most retail stores, it's Ice made by Turtle Wax. They sell the whole prep package from bumper to bumper.

To the contrary about washing it all the time in the winter. The more you apply water to the salt (when you wash it) you do realize it causes a chemical reaction and actually speeds up the rusting process. So yes, you can cause more harm than good to your vehicle by to many car washes when your state uses salt on the roads. To each your own when it comes to keeping it clean in the winter, but I've been living in Minnesota all my life and there's no shortage of salt and calcium chloride here. I speak with experience on this subject.

And by cure time they don't mean leave it on and not to buff it off for 12 hrs, do they?

I thought the same, just keep it out of rain or direct sun

I routinely leave the wax on overnight (in the garage) and buff off the next morning or day. Great results.

Yes, cure time is after the wax has been wiped off.

Yes, 8:25 pm right now and exactly 85 degrees. My garage is even hotter cause it keeps the engine heat in.

My post was kinda tongue in cheek, but the manufacturers website says 12 hrs below 85. I've never seen the stuff, so I was just going by what they say.

I'd like to try it, but anything that has to cure seems to me would require professional application.

To the contrary about washing it all the time in the winter. The more you apply water to the salt (when you wash it) you do realize it causes a chemical reaction and actually speeds up the rusting process. So yes, you can cause more harm than good to your vehicle by to many car washes .

I will ask our chemist at work about this one. I can't see washing the salt off/away as not being the better option.

I will ask our chemist at work about this one. I can't see washing the salt off/away as not being the better option.

Everytime you wash your vehicle your stripping the barrier that's on your paint. The polymer and oils that are put on when you polish your vehicle do wear off with every wash which exposes your paint to more oxidation. That's all I'm say'n.

Everytime you wash your vehicle your stripping the barrier that's on your paint. The polymer and oils that are put on when you polish your vehicle do wear off with every wash which exposes your paint to more oxidation. That's all I'm say'n.
That's certainly true, but isn't that why you periodically re-apply wax (or your favorite sealant) to your car?

Yes, that I can understand. I agree if you wash often you should wax/polish often.

Washing often during a bad winter, salty roads, is a must.

That's certainly true, but isn't that why you periodically re-apply wax (or your favorite sealant) to your car?

Fine in the summer, not in the winter when temps are below freezing.

I'd like to try it, but anything that has to cure seems to me would require professional application.

You're a "professional" right...you get paid!:)

You can do it. Very easy to work with. The newer the paint, the better. Get going.

Don't store the wax in your hot garage, either, this is more imprtant regarding temps.

i am very partial to zymol Atlantique glaze. looks amazing on the ex but you would need to apply more often. a couple of coats of zaino with the accelerator would be a good option. i use 2 coats of the zaino and after it cures i would put a coat of zymol, looks amazing on my black f-150 another good option if the wolfgang waxes or ice by turtle wax. also poor boys isnt bad either for wheel wax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back