Tech: 2004 explorer won't engage in any gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tech: 2004 explorer won't engage in any gear

rgparchive

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.0 XLT
This is a little long... I am brand new to the forum...I am in need of some guidance/opinions. I am computer geek with very limited knowledge of vehicles. The bigest jobs I have ever done on my cars was brakes, rotor turns at a shop ( i brought them in) and replaced a wheel bearing and race in an older ford explorer, and an alternator in my sons ford. So if you answer my questions at the end, you will know my general capabilities.

My daughter has a 2004 explorer she saved for on her own (used). It runs good and she has been happy with it for the year she has had it. Lately, She has been saying the engine has been shutting off during startup until it gets warm. Honestly, like most of us, I haven't had an extra dime to get it looked at. Well last night she came home from school, parked, and later went out to get some takeout. The car started fine, but regardless of what gear you put it in, it would not engage the transmission. There was not even any change in sound to indicate it was attempting to engage.

I came inside and tried to search what it might be. I thought maybe a linkage or cable might have broke. After about 30 mins of looking around online, I went back outside thinking I was going to look inside the steering column. It was cold outside so I decided to let the car keep me warm. I cranked it up, and for the heck of it, I put it in gear....Of course it worked fine. All gears... I sent my daughter to have the oil changed at a local, family mechanic location today. I asked her to ask him to look at it, explaining all the issues. She called a little while ago, said that he said the Electronic Throttle body was malfunctioning and he could replace the throttle body. He said it was sending wrong signals to the computer and that was what was responsible for the transmission not engaging and also the cut-off problem too.

The parts costs was 250.00 plus labor of 140 and then a computer diagnostic charge. Grand total was 500.00 bucks. I simply don't have that kind of money right now.

So my questions are this;

Could this be the root of both issues? (most important question)

Is the price of repair a fair price?

Could I do this myself?

I looked online and found this part #
Part Description: 4.0L V6 12V Single Over Head Cam EFI

Part Number: 9E926 (ford part #)

for 240.00. Can I do the maintenance or does this part need to have a computer "flash" done to the main computer in the car before it will work right?

Thanks for helping dad help his daughter.

Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be you can disconnect the battery, unbolt the throttle body and put the new one in and hook up the battery.

I could be wrong as i never messed with a non cable driven throttle body. But i see it as like any sensor. I personally dont see why you would have to flash the computer. ( very good ?, i would like to know also if you do)

You could call up a ford shop and ask the service guy if you have to reflash the computer when replacing the throttle body. Some will give you a answer, some will tell you to come in . Worth a shot.

I would look into a low mileage junkyard throttle body. Ya it is a used part, but if you are on a budget it is better then 500$.

I cant see it being that hard to replace. Remove the air intake tube (one screw) and unplug a couple of wires and a remove a few bolts that hold the t/b to the manifold. IF you dont a alternator and other little stuff, you could handle this.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Yes, mating the "Drive by Wire" technology with an "Adaptive Shift Strategy Transmission" found on the 2004 Ford Explorer can get a little confusing. I'm assuming that your mechanic did not pick up on any transmission codes while checking? This year of Explorer is infamous for transmission issues. It is very possible losing a signal or having problem to the Throttle Body at one point and time could cause problems with the transmission, however I would cover all bases and have the transmission checked as well. BTW, changing a Throttle Body is a very easy fix! Disconnect negative battery terminal to eliminate CM (Continuous Memory) codes during replacment.

Welcome to this forum! Your fluid level in the transmission might be a little low. Cold weather will make it even worse. A bad solenoid block could cause a similar problem like you are having. How many miles does it have? Is your engine capable of revving in park? If so, then the throttle by wire is responding.

I know it may not be relevant, but maybe the inability to change gears is due to the neutral switch on the underside of the tranny. It will cause the same effects and on mine, it sometimes worked until I got under and adjusted it.

I know it may not be relevant, but maybe the inability to change gears is due to the neutral switch on the underside of the tranny. It will cause the same effects and on mine, it sometimes worked until I got under and adjusted it.
How do you adjust the neutral switch on the tranny

It sounds like your throttle body is fine, but the throttle position sensor (TPS) may be bad. The TPS is the sensor that communicates with the PCM which then communicates with the transmission for shift scheduling and TCC control. The TPS is attached to the throttle body. It is very easy to change and it costs about $80 at your local auto parts store.

Back