Techieman33's Front and rear axle swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Techieman33's Front and rear axle swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you find an axle shaft and bracket?

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles- it ought to be easier than that :(
We robbed them from Eric's 373 axle. It's called trickle down economics--:D

Wow, this is very sorry Terry, very bad business. My black list just grew by one.

How many views has this thread received so far, 842 views, interesting yes?

Now back to the scheduled program-

Attachments

• eric's pose.jpg
    eric's pose.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 240

A site vendor...hmmm - let me go see who I can speculate this to be.

I guess I won't do any business with any site vendors until I find out who NOT to do business with.

...Read post #58...;)

Well it's all buttoned up, took it for a test drive, I could feel it launch a little harder but not a whole lot, only the timeslips from the track will tell. The front drive shaft is still out because I wanted to drive it in 2wd and see how that felt:burnout: My brakes are a little to strong for a good burnout the powerslots and hawks really hold that thing will. I'll post the video and a couple of pics after I get back to topeka tonight.

Ahhh, I see. I don't think this is the first bad deal I've seen.

I think you'll feel the 4.10's better with the front driveshaft in- your front output is spinning power away with it out.

I wish I could have helped with this- I've had the axles out from under mine too many times, it'd been a whole lot more fun to do someone else's.

I think you'll feel the 4.10's better with the front driveshaft in- your front output is spinning power away with it out.

I wish I could have helped with this- I've had the axles out from under mine too many times, it'd been a whole lot more fun to do someone else's.

When a had the front drive shaft in for a little bit it pulled a lot harder, but at 65mph the whole thing started shaking itself apart everything was vibrating bad. We got under it and started looking and the front drive shafts u-joint must have shifted when I was bolting it in. And there was diff fluid leaking out. So I pulled the drive shaft back out and took it for another test drive and everything seemed fine so I drove it home. It doesn't seem to be leaking any more fluid and it was as quiet as a mouse the whole time. I also got 19.3mpg on the way home, my normal is just over 20mpg with the computer tune that I had loaded. When I get the front drive shaft and new front shocks in (hopefully tomorrow) I'll take it for a little trip and see what my mileage is then.

I wish you could have made it too, a third person would have been very helpful, especially one that's done all of it before. Hopefully you can make it up when we put the lift on Brian's mounty.

I'll post a couple of pics and the burnout video in a little bit

When you put the u joint in the front diff the cups have to fit inside the tabs to center the driveshaft. If it doesn't fit, the needles may have fallen in the cup, you may need to put them back on the sides and put the cup back on.

Don't forget to re-check your rear u bolts after a few hundred miles.

When I did my 4406 swap, I got excited and forgot to tighten the cap bolts down, that was a scary deal until I figured out what was wrong.

Here's what you've been waiting for, I think with some stock type brakes it would have been a lot better, you can really hear the motor take off after I let off the brakes.

and here's the aftermath, both sets are mine, the really squigly one was the first attempt, the straighter ones are the 2nd one that was taped.

PICT0049Medium.jpg

And this is what I saw going home
PICT0055.jpg

Nice, the scenery too. I hope your tires aren't too expensive, I'm too cheap to spin mine. Isn't your truck blue?

Nice, the scenery too. I hope your tires aren't too expensive, I'm too cheap to spin mine.

They're just some cheap kuhmo's that were on it when I bought it. Those are the only 2 burnout they'll ever see anyway the front shaft is going back in tomorrow morning. The next mod is a EE sway bar to be followed by a set of bullets and some fatter rubber. So maybe I'll let Jon have some fun burning them off

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I wish my X could take off like that...:thumbsup:

Back