Tell me about the 2002 4.8L Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tell me about the 2002 4.8L Explorer

FordJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
NYB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Local auction, and I might be able to get one for about $600. It appears in 6 or 7 out of 10 cosmetics, but the reverse hesitates. 195,000 miles on this girl. I know the transmission is a weak spot on these. I own a 98 4.0 SOHC that I like overall. For low money I'd pick up a GOOD RELIABLE 2nd SUV.

I've read 2002 was a very bad year for Explorers and expect many problems. IS that accurate?

What's the inside ball on these 2002 Explorers, the trans, engines, mechanical, difficulty to maintain, etc.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 was the first year of the 3rd generation Explorer and there were issues. Hopefully most were dealt with by now and you will have good luck with your new ride.

Do a search here for "2002 issues" or "2002 problems" and you will find a ton of threads.

Thanks, but I passed on it. At this auction you can inspect but cannot drive. The auction noted it hesitates in reverses. It sold for a shocking $2000, and went for far too much for me.

Thanks, but I passed on it. At this auction you can inspect but cannot drive. The auction noted it hesitates in reverses. It sold for a shocking $2000, and went for far too much for me.
Dude 2000 God that's about how much 3rd gens go on used car lots

I've read 2002 was a very bad year for Explorers and expect many problems. IS that accurate?

What's the inside ball on these 2002 Explorers, the trans, engines, mechanical, difficulty to maintain, etc.?
I owned a 2002 Explorer with the 4.6L V8 for many years. I bought it with 49k miles and sold it when it had 116k miles. The 4.6L V8 is darn near bullet proof if maintained well. I did replace a couple of coils but this is a fairly common repair. It needed front wheel bearings when I sold it which is another fairly common repair on 3rd and 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers. I did replace the upper ball joints because the rubber boots were worn. Also, the rear parking parking brakes needed replaced at some point. I did two transmission pan drops, filter replacement and refills during the time I owned it. This was done as preventative maintenance to stave off future transmission issues which I never experienced in the time I owned it. Overall, it was a good veicle and the repairs I did wasn't excessive, IMO, for a vehicle of its age. I didn't own the 2003 V8 Mountaineer long enough to comment on other than the 5R55 transmission had to be rebuilt shortly after I bought it.

I opted to buy a V8 4th gen based on my overall positive experience with the 2002 I owned. I did this to update to a newer 2010 model with many more comfort features than I had with the 2002 XLT model. Another big reason to buy the 2010 V8 was to have the 6R80 six speed transmission. It is much more durable and refined than the 5R55s used in the 3rd gens and V6 4th gens. Another reason for me to buy the 2010 V8 was to get 53 more horsepower, 33 ft-lbs more torque AND better gas mileage. Because of the issues with the 5R55 transmissions in the 3rd gens and V6 4th gens, I would recommend buying a 4th gen V8 model if you can swing it. I would not recommend buying one with the SOHC V6 because it has its own set of problems that can cause big headaches.

Back