Tell Us About Your State---Pros & Cons? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tell Us About Your State---Pros & Cons?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I am thinking of relocating. If you could tell a little about the State you live in, like whats a good reason for living in your State, whats a bad reason.

Example:*Missouri*

Pros--My state has some beautiful lakes, & caves to explore. The cost of living is fairly cheap compared to the rest of the country. The winter's are not that bad, and the cold only lasts for 3 months tops.

Cons--The wages here are extremely low compared to the rest of the country. Work in the construction field is dried up. The winters are as cold as heck, and we get no snow to speak of (cant play in it). The laws here are so screwed up, and goofy. The humidity is unbearable. The bugs are enough to drive you mad. The culture is kinda behind the times, everything seems to move in slow motion.

Be honest, and to the point. Think of the bigger picture when you describe your state.

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Birth place..Alabama:
Good hunting and a laid back lifestyle (I like the slow pace) not alot of job opportunites.

Where I'll settle down...South Carolina
Mine and the wifes families live there and I just love the area (around Columbia)

Where I am now..Grand Forks, North Dakota..aka, Hell Frozen over
If I could only use one word to describe this place.....poop.
Great place to live if you want to put on weight or if you've always wondered what it would be like to hunt or fish in a freezer.

Where I am now..Grand Forks, North Dakota..aka, Hell Frozen over
If I could only use one word to describe this place.....poop.
Great place to live if you want to put on weight or if you've always wondered what it would be like to hunt or fish in a freezer.

LOL. I was in Grand Forks for a night in late June on my way to Wisconsin. Didn't think much of the town outside of that cool hockey arena on the campus (Canadians notice these things).

NY:

Pros: There is always a lot going on. You have a lot of work if you are in construction since there are many houses being built, and old houses need lots of repairs. There are numerous choices of schools to attend. You have places to eat everywhere. There are buses, and trains going everywhere. There are many places of worship to attend without having to drive too far. Most are within walking distance. Many people go to upstate NY for the summer. It's a popular get away place.

Cons: It's hard to stay on a diet with so many choices of places to eat. Everything is more expensive here compared to other places (food, tuition, car insurance, gasoline, taxes, etc. Land is down to a minimum, so you only have a few feet between your house, and your neighbor. Parking is a daily project. It takes forever to check out of a store with so many people waiting on line. I get people coming to my door a few times a week collecting.

If you are into the outdoors Utah is very nice.

California

Pros: Weather

Cons: Everything

Pennsylvania

Pro: Great places to 4-wheel, the scenery can be beautiful, cost of living is relatively low.

Con: We still don't have a budget, New Jersey keeps sending its folks over here, and winters ruin all the fun.

CA:

Pro:
Weather for most areas
Good mexican food on almost every corner
Prop 13 if you can afford a house and are able to keep it for along time.

Con:
Taxes
Too many laws
Too many people
Los Angeles
San Fransciso
If you are in construction you get to deal with alot of non legal workers.

If I didn't own a house in CA I am not sure I would still be there.

Murrrr-E-land

Cons:
  • Nowhere to really off road
  • Doesnt get enough snow
  • Traffic
  • Not enough rabbits (on a per square inch basis)
  • Not enough off road shops - which means DOM tubing is hard to find

Pros:
  • Close to DC and other places of interest
  • Very diverse people with all sorts of background
  • Vehicle safety inspection is done only once, not on a yearly or every two year basis
  • A lot of green - which never hurts, especially for hikers, MTBers and the likes. This also includes animal diversity I guess.
  • Technologically friendly for the most part (broadband access - bring on that WiMax)

NC:

Pros: From where I am (Raleigh area) I can be in the mountains in 4 hours or the coast in 2 1/2 hours.

Cons: Not as free as most southern states.

For example if I want to purchase a portable vessel with >= 7.75 gallons of malt beverage you are required to fill out a permit so ALE (alcohol law enforcement) knows where the "party" is. Get in good with a local brewery though and they don't care and don't make you fill out the permit.

Another example is if I wish to purchase a pistol I have to get a pistol purchase permit from the county sheriff. Requirements vary by county. This law is left over from the Jim Crow era when it was supposed to keep pistols out of minorities hands.

Murrrr-E-land

Cons:
  • Doesnt get enough snow
  • Traffic
  • Too close to Ben
[/LIST]

Fix't

Iowa

Pro's:
-Low cost of living
-Low crime
-Lots of nice County/State/DNR/Army Corps parks in random places
-Localized economy - some places are booming others have 17% unemployment
-Less Traffic than most places
-Midwest ethics

Con's:
-Not a variety to do unless you want to drive an hour or two
-No Large Bodies of Water (I live next to the largest one)
-Small town politics
-Do you like corn fields?
-Some cities should be avoided, ex. Marshalltown

Keep your views coming! These are great so far!

New Residential construction is is 90% of what I do for a living. It would be great if you knew a little about how much, or how little is being built in your state/area.

Murrrr-E-land

Cons:
  • Doesnt get enough snow
  • Traffic
    [*]high cost of living
    [*]humid

Pros:
  • Close to DC and other places of interest
  • Very diverse people with all sorts of background
  • Vehicle safety inspection is done only once, not on a yearly or every two year basis
  • A lot of green - which never hurts, especially for hikers, MTBers and the likes. This also includes animal diversity I guess.
  • Technologically friendly for the most part (broadband access - bring on that WiMax)
    [*]Scenic diversity, we have a little bit of everything. Mountains, flatland, beaches, rolling hills, scenic views, a lot of history stuff.
    [*]in the last couple hard economic times this area has done and held better economically than most the rest of the country

I can sum AR up with a picture-

Attachments

• arkansas.jpg
    arkansas.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,148

michigan_hand.jpg

Michigan

Pro's:

-Lots of lakes and rivers
-Good spring summer and fall climate
-um...

that's it.

Cons:
-No jobs to pay for your trips to beautiful lakes and rivers
-Housing market is in the toilet
-Roads suck (that's why we have so many SUV's here- we don't all want them, we NEED them)
-Government is completely inept
-Very few Sonic restaurants
-Too many Walgreens and Rite-Aid pharmacies

Our slogan:
Michigan- just don't do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back