It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Share what you run in your rig, it will help others when deciding to purchase a Locker.

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Richmond Gear Powertrax Lock-Rights --Front 2311-LR / Rear 1822-LR
Price?: $265/ea
Where was it purchased? : my4by.com
What Axles Do You Have?:CAD D35 and 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 4.56
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Manual
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In?: Both.
Street Manners?: Great, but in snow it will push you in a turn if too hard on the gas.
Off Road Performance?: Night & day difference from LS/open, will never run unlocked again.
How Long Have You Had It?: Rear 2 years.... Front, few months.
Any Breakage?: None to date
Anything Else?: Lunchbox is inexpensive and easy to install with no gear reset, as it replaces spider gears only. With CAD D35 from 95-96 Ex, the front behaves as normal in 2wd. In 4wd, the front axle can be disconnected, and you have 3wd in 4x4 range. Love the pulling traction it adds. Can get one front/rear tire up in the air now and still keep going. Makes for harder steering with larger tires and the R&P steering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lockers: Aussie Locker
Price: $250 Front, $280 Rear
Axles: D-35 TTB, Ford 8.8
Gear Ratio: 4.56
Which Axle is Locked: Both
Street Manners: Acceptable. But, it is VERY tail happy in situations that are slick, but not slick enough for 4x4 [example: 1/4" of snow(TSL's instead of All-Terrains or street tires don't help)]
Off Road Performance: Aussie's Slogan is, "Traction to go Anywhere" and I believe them
Time Frame: Front:3 years / Rear:1 year
Breakage: 1 front U-joint (destroying both axle shafts) while gunning the truck at full lock. Possibly caused bu not having full circle clips on the u-joint, maybe just caused by my heavy foot.
Anything Else: Lockers are worth every penny you spend and can be installed by the average guy in an afternoon with no specialty tools.

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Rear Powertrax No-slip
Price?:
What Axles Do You Have?:IFS D35 and 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 4.10
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Auto
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In?: Rear
Street Manners?: Works well in the rear with the 4x4 auto feature for winter driving. It does cause a little shimmy letting off the gas after pulling onto the interstate.
Off Road Performance?: Great, it does occasionally unlock one wheel in extremely slippery situations, but barley riding the brakes keeps it locked up if it unlocks
How Long Have You Had It?: 4+ years
Anything Else?: I think it would be a little sketchy in the winter with a 2wd truck.

What Locker(s) Do You Run?:Open Stock Carrier
Price?: Free
What Axles Do You Have?:TTB D35 and 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 3.27
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In?: Both
Street Manners?: Super slow with that terrible gear ratio
Off Road Performance?: Not as good as if I had an aussie in the rear
How Long Have You Had It?:17 Years
Anything Else?:Nope

EDIT: Take a joke, and my bad about the gears was in a hurry and it was dark :p fixed now 3.27's

Thinking a thread showing what everybody runs in their rigs will help others when deciding to purchase a Locker.

Gear Ratio?: 3.23

check your axle code again, no explorers had 3.23 gears

Gear Ratio?: 3.23

Hmmm.....you were suppose to add to this thread IF you had a locker in your truck...and you have TTB in a 94 not regular IFS

What Locker(s)?: Rear Aussie
Price?: $250?
What Axles?: Stock 8.8 rear and D35 front
Gear Ratio?: 4.11
Manual Or Auto?: Auto
Which Axle(s)?: Rear.
Street Manners?: Not terrible, but always chirps in tight turns and makes driving in snow without 4WD tricky.
Off Road Performance?: Excellent. I often forget to switch into 4WD.
How Long?: Almost 4 years
Any Breakage?: None
Anything Else?: If my 4WD were to die in the snow, it would be difficult to drive. For that reason, I'd rather have a selectable locker, but I'm saving up to do a limited slip in the front, so the selectable rear locker will have to wait.

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: ARB
Price?: $600ea + $180 for compressor (some time ago)
What Axles Do You Have?:D35 (TTB) and 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 5.13:1
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Manual
Street Manners?: Like open diffs
Off Road Performance?: Wonderful. Push button for spool, Push again for open diff.
How Long Have You Had It?: 6½ years (14 if I count the one left in my Ranger)
Any Breakage?: None on my BII, Grenaded the spiders on one in my Ranger though
Anything Else?: Most versatile, least intrusive setup for a DD/WW (none of the clunkiness and tire chirping of a Detroit Locker). Air compressor can be used for airing up tires at the end of the trail (albeit a little slow though)

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Front Detroit SofLocker; Rear Powertrax No-Slip
Price?: Can't remember, probably around $1000 for both.
What Axles Do You Have?:Dana 44 and 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 4.88
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Auto 700r4
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In?: both
Street Manners?: No complaints
Off Road Performance?: No complaints there either.
How Long Have You Had It?: 8 years
Anything Else?: Swapping out rear for a Detroit, for peace of mind.

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Front Powertrax-Rear Aussie
Price?: front? rear 175.00
What Axles Do You Have?:late disc 8.8 rear,EB dana 44 front
Gear Ratio?: 410
Street Manners?: 4wd good for slow speed only-deadly on icy roads as steering is greatly affected
Off Road Performance?: excellent
How Long Have You Had It?: 1 year
Any Breakage?: none
Anything Else?: Would recommend winch before lockers, as lockers can result in getting stuck worse;)
If driving on ice over 30mph-I strongly recommend a selectable locker in front axle.

Green: 1994 Explorer

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Front open, Rear Powertrax No-Spin in limited slip carrier (bigger lunchbox with more parts)
Price?: $??? can't remember.
What Axles Do You Have?:IFS TTB D35 and 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 3.73
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: TK Manual and 4XFab Stubler. 1354 electric t-case
Which Axle(s): Rear.
Off Road Performance?: Night & day difference from LS, will never run unlocked again.
How Long Have You Had It?: 3 years
Anything Else?: Can be hard to set up. There is a go/no go measurement for most lunch box units to opperate. To tight and they will not unlock and rachet properly. To loose and they may work well at first but will soon beat themselves to a point they will no longer work. Get one with a new hardened shaft. And if needed call around to 4x4 shops and see if they have used side washers in the size you need.

Jr: 1988 Bronco II

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Detriot Lockers
Price?: $??? don't remember. One was new the other I bought used
What Axles Do You Have?:IFS TTB D35 w/44 outers and Ford 9" full width
Gear Ratio?: 4.11
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: C-5 auto, T&M Doubler. 1354 manual t-case
Off Road Performance?: Night & day difference from LS, will never run unlocked again.
How Long Have You Had It?: 4 years
Anything Else?: Had some trouble with a R&P set and had to replace. Not sure what the problem was but if I had to do it again I would have went with a full width 8.8 in stead of the 9". 9" has a low pinion and had to be point up for drive shaft angle. Don't know if I now had an oiling problem to the pinion bearing or not. Just could have been a bad gear set. No trouble at all with either of the Detroit Lockers. They are said to be the strongest most reliable on the market. I have found nothing to argue with that.

What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Richmond Gear Powertrax Lock-Right - Rear 1822-LR
Price?: $300 used
Where was it purchased? : Gmanpaint
What Axles Do You Have?: Stock 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 4.10
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Automatic
Which Axle(s) Is It Installed In?: Rear
Street Manners?: Good, occasional tire sqawl if turning on pavement and I'm on the gas. Just reminds me to power before the turn and coast through it.
Off Road Performance?: Great, can really tell the difference. Giving serious though to a front locker
How Long Have You Had It?: Almost a year
Anything Else?: Lunchbox is inexpensive and easy to install with no gear reset, as it replaces spider gears only.

I'm looking for more feedback from other owners with the Torsen front differential in 2nd gen's.

I have three Torsen 8.8 diffs, one in my 98 Mountaineer(rear) which has been excellent for street use(installed in 2004). It doesn't cause the rear tires to break loose on snow or ice, and it's a mild strength diff, in between the weak LS and real lockers like a Detroit. I had one in my last Crown Vic that I sold, and I bought an almost new one a while back from eBay. They run $750ish the last time I looked, I think the True Trac(cost of under $600) is the best mid strength 8.8 diff, not the Torsen. I have a Torsen D35 to put in the front of my project 98 Explorer, and that's one I wonder how it will be in snow or ice on road. Those cost about $550 recently, and they should still have a few left from their recent Fall run.

Back