• Register Today It's free!

Temp Gauge & Cooler Weather

AgExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLS
With the cooler weather, I've noticed that the temp gauge indicator stays a lot lower that it had been during the summer. I know the thermostat is OK because the days it warms up and the A/C is on, the indicator moves a little when it opens and closes. There has been no loss in performance or fuel mileage during the cooler days.

Are there seperate sensors for the gauge and ECU? Would the outside temp be affecting the one for the gauge? Where are they located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced my Stant thermostat with a Motorcraft one, after noticing the same lower guage reading as you. Made no difference, the guage hovers right around the right line by the C, and slightly above that line as it warms then back down to the line when the thermostat opens.

Originally posted by AgExplorer
Are there seperate sensors for the gauge and ECU? Would the outside temp be affecting the one for the gauge? Where are they located?

Yes, there are separate sensors on my 4.0 SOHC. They are located right by the thermostat housing. under a bunch of crap.

If your gauge hovers right by the C thats too cold to have your eingine operating at it's top efficiency level. i would get a new STant T-stat that is rater warmer. you may have a 180* i would get a 195*. you will experiance a rise in gas milage if it running at top effiency

I would think that the cooler air is just doing a better job cooling the radiator. I notice that all of my vehicles run a little cooler in the winter. If it only runs cooler while your moving, I would tend to believe its the cooler air.

I agree with RTStork, but if your truck was hovering like near the C, thats just too cold..no natter what the weather.

Back